Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 04:53:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Come on now!!!

Started by bloom6372, May 28, 2011, 01:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloom6372

So, once again, BM is attempting to deny DH's parenting time *sigh*...

Some background first-DH and BM split in March 2005, BM moved with SD in August 2005. Between then and April 2009, BM only "allowed" 3 visits to DH's home, despite the CO stating 50/50 (she moved 1000+ miles away, so it didn't really matter that they had 50/50...). Everything else she either denied, or he had to go to BM's state to see SD. In November 2008, DH told BM he was going to get SD for Christmas, since it was the 3rd week (his COed week), she said she didn't agree to it, he said it didn't matter since it was his COed week. She filed with the Court for an Ex-Parte (which was granted) preventing DH from having Christmas visitation. In February 2009, there was a Court hearing and DH was COed to have school breaks (more specific than that, but it's not pertinent to this post). In May 2009, when DH told BM he was exercising his parenting time, BM filed with the FOC to prevent DH from having ANY parenting time during his 3 year tour in Japan (the February 2009 order stated that both parents would sign for a passport--she never asked why, and on top of that, DH didn't get to tell her about his orders until April because she refused communication). Thankfully, it was denied, and it was COed that as long as DH was not in a dangerous/hostile country or deployed, he could exercise his parenting time. Until now, he's gone to see SD since summer 2009. In March, she stated she wouldn't send SD for Spring Break unless DH gave her a detailed itinerary (which at the time we did NOT have). So, in order to make sure that DH got to see SD, he went there.

Now, DH told BM at the beginning of this month that he will be bringing SD here for the summer. BM told DH she will not release SD til 6pm on his COed custody day. The CO does NOT state a time. DH and I have reserved tickets for SD for a flight leaving at 1205pm (the airport is 2-3 hours away from BM's home, depending on traffic). So, once again, she is trying to prevent DH from getting SD!!! She KNOWS we can't cancel or change tickets! DH has told her MANY TIMES. She is also aware that my parents are flying to meet SD at the airport and bringing her here, so she knows that DH won't be there to catch a later flight even if we could afford it. DH told her that he will file for a Show Cause hearing and ask for make up time and plane ticket costs if she doesn't have SD ready to go when his parents come to get her. She's saying he can't have her because BM has plans (more than likely camping--she did the EXACT same thing in 2009! She told DH she had a camping trip from the Monday before Father's day until the Tuesday after and that he could get her then......)...She ALWAYS makes plans on his time--ALWAYS.

Someone please tell me there is something that we can do to stop her from doing this in the future! DH isn't required by the Court to inform her of his intent, just of an itinerary (and no time limit on that, either). I'm half tempted to tell him next time just to say he's coming to town, show up, pick up SD, hand BM an itinerary, and leave. For now, DH has a fax to send to the FOC regarding this, and he's emailed BM and will be sending a letter to her stating the same as the email. We don't know what else to do!

Oh, and did I mention that she wrote to him that she has never violated a Court Order in any way?! LOL. Um, hello there, we have over 72 violations documented, with proof, against you. She's either crazy or in denial (maybe both. lol).

Why are people like this allowed to get away with this kind of crap? What, because she gave birth to SD she gets to do whatever she wants?

ocean

The only other thing I can think of trying is having a lawyer call on your behalf (pay for a consult and one phone call to her) and see if a lawyer can work it out with her and also say they will file the second she refuses for full price of tickets and lawyer fees. Have papers ready to file. File the next day and you maybe able to get the end of the summer instead. Request that make-up time be for remaining of summer (and more if that is not enough time) until the day before school starts.

Is there a way he can get there to do the pick up instead of his parents? Does your papers state someone else can do the pick up?
Some people here have hid their wedding date from skids until the day they arrived so the ex would not spoil it and not send kids. Sometimes, getting the kids to you comes first is best then letting ex know the plans. Since this is out of the country it is a little different.

MixedBag

EX#3's EX also always violated the orders.....and basically got away with it.

I agree with Ocean, filing the very next day is important.  It shows that you're serious.

And yes, ask for make up time, and expenses...

As for the airline tickets -- there's gonna be some value in them.............and I remember paying out the butt to get them changed for EX's 3 kids numerous times.

UGH!

bloom6372

Ocean-No, there's no way he can get there. He's here in Japan, and we don't have the $2000 to send him there to pick her up and bring her back. Her tickets are $800. Well, I mean, we COULD send him there, but that's the money we have saved for him to take her back, and we wouldn't be able to save that much up again before it was time to return her. His Court Orders state he can have a family member transport SD, so BM has no leg to stand on if she tries to say she doesn't have to hand SD over.

MixedBag-The tickets we are buying are through the travel center here, and they charge $200 to change each ticket, and SD has 3 separate ones. Plus, my parents are traveling with her, and they have multiple tickets (they have to fly to her and then fly with her here), and they can't move their dates because of work. So, if BM doesn't send SD, we can't get her. She knows this, and that's why she's doing this.

I guess I'll type up some paperwork, have DH have it notarized, and send it to his mom to file the VERY day she refuses (the next day is a Saturday. His parents need to pick SD up at 7am). This is so ridiculous...She just needs to get the hell over herself and stop thinking she can get in the middle of DH and SD's relationship.

Thanks guys!!!

MixedBag

When there's a will, there's a way......I really hear what you're saying.

We too spent about $2K on no notice round trip tickets one summer for the 3 step-kids...

Your parents can fly a day later....and yes that costs money, but a day later they'll be on their way AND dad still files contempt for the expenses.

bloom6372

Quote from: MixedBag on May 29, 2011, 06:04:53 AM
When there's a will, there's a way......I really hear what you're saying.

We too spent about $2K on no notice round trip tickets one summer for the 3 step-kids...

Your parents can fly a day later....and yes that costs money, but a day later they'll be on their way AND dad still files contempt for the expenses.

My parents can't fly later. Their tickets are $4100, and where we got them, you cannot change your flight or get a refund within 3 weeks. You also have to pay $100 per ticket to cancel, and cannot cancel if it's within 3 weeks (it's already within 3 weeks). Plus that's an additional night in a hotel (they fly in the night before). Since they aren't a party to this, they can't get that money back from BM.

Davy

OK this may be thinking "outside the box" a bit but you may consider filing prose' a "Notice to the Court" document.  A notice is considered a legal document and the court is likely to sit on their hands and do nothing but it could weigh heavy as a forwarning on a future contempt action to recoup transportation costs, etc.

Keep the wording short and sweet while primarily asking the court to notify the CP to comply with the order of the court.    The underlying messsage is for the court and CP to be accountable for the order of the court.  No harm .... no fowl.  Not the least bit radical just pro-active and may bear fruit.

bloom6372

Quote from: Davy on May 30, 2011, 09:16:25 AM
OK this may be thinking "outside the box" a bit but you may consider filing prose' a "Notice to the Court" document.  A notice is considered a legal document and the court is likely to sit on their hands and do nothing but it could weigh heavy as a forwarning on a future contempt action to recoup transportation costs, etc.

Keep the wording short and sweet while primarily asking the court to notify the CP to comply with the order of the court.    The underlying messsage is for the court and CP to be accountable for the order of the court.  No harm .... no fowl.  Not the least bit radical just pro-active and may bear fruit.

Any idea on how to write one up (we have the format for legal documents, just not sure on what to write)? I've never heard of it...And can we fax it (I'm assuming it has to be notarized, which isn't a problem, I just don't know if they'd accept a faxed copy)? We are overseas, and it could take 1-2 weeks to get it there, and faxing is obviously immediate. lol. We'd love to do anything that we can to be proactive!

MixedBag

They arent a party, no.....but they are dad's choice for transportation.  DAD has to file and ask for any damages, not the grandparents.

Davy

Yes !  I've seen enough of your posts to think you could be a liitle pro-active.  I was accustomed to the court designations in the upper left hand corner and the document titled "Notice to the Court" in the center.  Then it is kinda a love letter format.   

In the matter of parental access to _______ .....   I would suggest you mention your concern for non-compliance and focus on the current day and not the past at least not in detail but perhaps a general statement to justify your fear.  I think if you fax it to the clerk of the court the clerk of the court MAY assure it is laid in front of the judge but, depending on practices of the judge, the clerk may just place the document in the case jacket and the judge will see it the next time he rifles thru the jacket (ie like when a contempt is file).  No need to notify the opposing party (some may consider it harrassment somehow) but you may choose to do so.

Oh, you may attach the court order and reference it in your love letter.

Maybe this will grow legs ... may be not.  I think it is very much worth the effort.

Best to ya and BTW ... thanks for serving.