Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 12:37:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Do we have any visitation rights?

Started by RKJ123, Jun 22, 2011, 11:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RKJ123

My sister and her boyfriend had a child together and were unable to take care of him due to alcohol problems on both of their parts.  The child was put in foster care and the parents lost parental rights.  I was contacted by someone from the state of Missouri to see if I was interested in taking the child in.  I had just gotten remarried and my son at the time was 7.  I was told by the rep for state that there was a chance that my nephew may have been molested by a non-family member and that he may have behavioral issues.  I was also told that the natural father would probably harass me and my family if we took custody.  After much thought and discussion with my husband, we decided to not seek custody.  We felt it could be too detrimental to our new marriage and my son.

The child was placed with the ex-wife of my sister's boyfriend.  My nephew is now 14 years old, lives in the same town as most of my family and has regular contact with his natural father but has no contact or awareness of my side of the family. 

My main question is how can I get the details of his case?  I want to know if it is possible for us to get to know him?  I don't think it is fair that his custodian has allowed the natural father rights but has denied my sister's side of the family any contact with him especially when the father lost his rights as well as my sister.

I will not do anything if I think that it would hurt or confuse my nephew...however, I am confused by my conversations with the state employee regarding the father only to find out that the father still has access to my nephew. 

I welcome all thoughts, ideas and opinions.

Thank you

ocean

Family court matters are not open to the public so only the parents can go look at the file. If he gave up his rights (or they were taken away permanently) then you will not be given any rights.

Have you tried sending a nice letter to the guardians now? Saying that you appreciate them taking him in and that you would like some type of communication with child (and that you are not looking to get custody or take him away). Maybe at first just facebook or email? or meet once in a public place? Maybe send a note to child with it and ask if they would give it to him.

14 is still young to deal with all of this. He has had a rough life and he may not want to meet extended family that really the courts are saying are not family. You do not know how much or what he knows so maybe make the letter generic and introduce yourselves and family of his bio father.

In the papers, father needs to look and see if you are even allowed contact. You may have to wait until 18, and contact yourself and see if he even wants to talk to you.

tigger

How old was he when he was placed with the exwife?  How old was he when the alleged molestation took place?
The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!