Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 05:15:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

NY vs GA child support

Started by smithy, Jul 06, 2011, 11:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ocean

I would just pay the $50 a week until age 21 then get NY to close case. If you go to NY court now after all these years, good chance that the support will be change upwards. NY is 17% of father's income. If mother does not like that you are not paying college, then she will have to file in NY, come to NY hearing, and fight it in NY.

Do you think mother will file if you continue the $50 a week? and is she asking for college money?

smithy

Thank you all so much.
Our position is to pay the $50 a week to her and tell her to give it to her son for college or do what she wishes with it. There will be no college payments from us until that ends at 21....we can't afford it. We don't know how that will go down but husband will be speaking to son and explaining situation to him. Husband is not working and laden with debt since company folded so unless she really wants to go to court big time to get $$ from me, I think she will accept the situation. Hopefully.
You've all been very kind. I'm most grateful.

Kitty C.

Not meaning to throw a monkey wrench into the process, but if she does take your DH to court to fight over the tuition, tell the court that it's discriminatory to force a separated/single parent to pay tuition.  If they can't force married couples to pay tuition, why should they be allowed to force him, see what I mean?  I know that was a big bone of contention with Soc when he was around, because he has serious problems with the constitutionality of the issue.

When he does talk to his son, he needs to remind the boy that he will have to apply for grants, scholarships, or loans and get a job while he's in school to pay for it all.  Millions of people do that every day and have been doing so for years.  I've always had a problem with parents paying for their child's college education, anyway.  Unless my child is in trouble and needs my help temporarily, I gave up ALL responsibility to him when he became a legal adult.  But then, that's JMO..........
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......