Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: Father and mother are incarcerated.....I am the aunt  (Read 1825 times)


  • New Arrival
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Father and mother are incarcerated.....I am the aunt
« on: Aug 26, 2011, 08:57:01 AM »
Hey all. I hope I am in the right place for my questions. My brother in law is in prison for bank robbery and is going to be moved soon for the remainder of his prison term. He has asked my husband and I to get him info on parental rights printed out for him so he can get a plan of action ready so he does not lose his rights to his 2 boys. We live in Ohio and so far the courts have favored the mother and her family over ours. The mother of his children has since went to jail as well and her mother has the boys full time and we have not seen them for several months. If anyone can point in the right direction to where i can get useful info for my brother in law I would be so thankful. We are on limited time since he is being moved and we are not sure where or when. Thanks so much again.


  • Private Reserve
  • SuperHero
  • ***
  • Posts: 5052
  • Karma: 172
    • View Profile
Re: Father and mother are incarcerated.....I am the aunt
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2011, 10:26:59 AM »
He really can not do anything but a family member can petition the family courts to grant visitation of the children since father is not available and children have a relationship with fathers family. The best people to file for this is the grandparents on your side. Many times courts will grant grandparents rights BUT they do not have to. Your side of the family has to prove that it would be in the best interests of the kids to stay in contact with dad's family while he is away.

Call a lawyer near you (most will do a free consult) and see who the best person would be to file in your family (someone with the most contact in last year with kids). You can file yourselves in family court or hire a lawyer to do it for you.


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.