Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 01:06:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Do I have a say in what my Child signs up for?

Started by Classy Dad, Sep 07, 2011, 06:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Classy Dad

I have a six year old 'love' child with a woman. We've never been married or any thing like that.  I have her every other weekend. The Mom and I don't have too many issues..except...

The Mom and I never hardly ever communicate or talk about our daughter, except the usual things like school grades, doctor visits, etc. We barely discuss any thing. This summer, I noticed that our daughter is addicted to tv. I questioned the mom about how much tv the child watches and the Mom flipped out.

My QUESTION is in regards to how much of a say I have in what type of activities my daughter gets involved with. For example...soccer, t-ball, dance, etc. I'm for all of that. Recently, I learned that the mom signed our six year old daughter up for a class that I'm not too crazy about (hip-hop dance class). I BELIEVE that I have the right to at least discuss it with the Mom and offer an alternative like 'creative dance' or ballet. I don't think a first grader should be taught how to shake her butt and be subject to that music. My niece who is the same age was involved with a 'creative' dance class and loved it. It was first class and they put on an amazing show at the end.

Help!!

tigger

If you have joint legal, then yes. 

I don't generally advocate playing games but in this case, you might want to just have the child's cousin talk to your daughter about how awesome her class was and see if the daughter will jump on board and want to do that.
The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!

ocean

Well, you should have say especially if you have to pay for activities. Go see the dance class and talk to the teachers about costumes. At her age, they usually do not teenage dancing at that level, especially if she is a beginner.

If you want to sign her up for another activity, see what day it is on, and see if mom will let you take her (and pay for ) the activity.

On your weekends, you limit tv but have alternative things to do, games, puzzles, coloring , cooking, whatever.... show her that the tv does not always have to be on.