Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 09:56:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Preparing for a custody hearing

Started by bloom6372, Sep 19, 2011, 07:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mom1Step2

We are in Florida - so any words on how things work here would be great. I was thinking of posting an ad somewhere to see if anyone could let us know what they went through in local courts.

As for the kids.. they are 14 & 11. 14yo wrote a letter to the court stating she wanted to make the move back with BM. It seems she may have changed her mind now that she has been back with DH for a month. But we are not asking so as not to preasure her.

This hearing is for DH vs BM. Could I be the one who helps & asks him questions? It would really be great if he could do the statement thing & I could stay uninvolved. It really aggitates BM when I say or do anything (of course that might be a good thing to if it caused her to show her butt in court).

PS. Sorry bloom for highjacking your thread!

bloom6372

Okay, so we can file them as exhibits and then use that information for testimony/questioning. That's fine...It's what we thought we'd have to do. I was just worried we'd have to have the school and/or doctors involved, because we try not to put them in the middle...

ocean

You can file them but who are you going to ask the questions too? Our ex did not take the stand, so no questions. For example: we subpenaed the phone company and then we questioned that guy on the stand about how many times ex's phone number called our house on a certain day. Then he looked at the exhibit (phone records we had certified copy of) and he was able to answer.
For the school records, you can get on the stand and read from the report cards, attendance records, then ex's lawyer can ask you questions about it.

nila fordyce

Quote from: bloom6372 on Sep 19, 2011, 07:16:43 PM
I'm curious--what do YOU do to prepare for a custody hearing? How do you organize records? What do you document? Do you make copies for your attorney? What about witness statements--do you have them typed and notarize or do you record their statements for your records? Do you have letters of recommendation? etc etc etc. Anything and everything would be good to hear :)
First of all if you're a father good luck-you'll need it! Second of all, it is imperative that you get an exceptional attorney that knows what he is doing in your particuliar case or you also are in big trouble. Unfortunately, there are alot of bad ones out there. If it is a custody situation, try everything you can to keep an evaluator out of it--they're big time trouble...Good Luck
I like to complain.

MixedBag

Quote from: bloom6372 on Sep 24, 2011, 04:54:58 AM
Okay, so we can file them as exhibits and then use that information for testimony/questioning. That's fine...It's what we thought we'd have to do. I was just worried we'd have to have the school and/or doctors involved, because we try not to put them in the middle...

Bloom -- you still might have to get a doctor to testify WHAT they wrote -- and the schools and stuff.

Your CP is not going to let custody go easily....SO expect to hear that the other side objects to the entry of evidence without the authenticating person being available to testify and be cross examined.

bloom6372

Quote from: MixedBag on Sep 25, 2011, 04:22:30 PM
Quote from: bloom6372 on Sep 24, 2011, 04:54:58 AM

Bloom -- you still might have to get a doctor to testify WHAT they wrote -- and the schools and stuff.

Your CP is not going to let custody go easily....SO expect to hear that the other side objects to the entry of evidence without the authenticating person being available to testify and be cross examined.

Shucks. We were hoping to keep everyone out of it as much as possible. Oh well, though. If that's what it takes!