Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 09:20:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Custody Information

Started by aiden, May 12, 2006, 04:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aiden

My wife and I are starting the divorce process.  We have a son that is 2 1/2. Lawyers are involved and i feel misleading her and now she wants everything to go through them because her lawyer says Im being deceptive.  I want my sons life to remain as normal as possible.  I am seeking 50% custody.  I spend more time with my son than my wife does and feel like that should continue.  Im looking for resources and information that can help me be armed with the right information to state that I should at least have 50% coverage.  ANy info that says it is not confusing for the child to be split 50% of the time.  All help would be greatly appreciated.

CustodyIQ

The most important thing to do for your case is the following:

A) Always state your case from "the best interest of the child"

B) Gather evidence and witnesses that show during the past two years, you have done the majority of the parenting (i.e., per your claim that the child is with you most of the time).

If you do A, prove B, and have a competent attorney; then your chances are very good to get a 50/50 schedule, or even more custodial time in your home.

Don't waste effort about gathering journal articles or research findings to prove 50/50 is okay.  It's irrelevant, not admissible, and pointless.

Don't waste effort worrying about what your wife thinks.

Pray for peace, prepare for battle.

Ideally, you can mediate this and avoid court.  But at the same time, you should be building your case so you're ready.

Once a parent moves out, and the other parent has the child most of the time (regardless how it happens), the final outcome is most often determined right there.

So, be aware of that.

Also, look into books on the subject of how child custody is determined.

determined

What truly is confusing to a child is when a parent who was actively involved is then relegated to a visitor role only.

MYSONSDAD

DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT. There is a Parenting time tracker here at SPARC. Keep a journal on day to day happenings.

Work on a paper trail. Who took child to doctor, etc. Who remained in family home?

most here advocate for 50/50, others will follow with more suggestions.

"Children learn what they live"