Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 03:08:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Child support from 2 different states?

Started by andyg, Feb 28, 2012, 02:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

My husband file for custody over the summer of 2011 while his daughter was here in North Carolina visiting with us.  a lot of crazy things have happened in this case that just can't be explained.  In 2009 child support was started in North Carolina.  In 2010 the mother moved from NC to Iowa.  In Jan of 2011 she filed a temp. order requesting increase in child support in the state of Iowa.  Husband's lawyer tried fighting by stating it was not legal as child support was already in North Carolina.  Of course we lost...so, lawyer is appealing.  The way things have gone in this case, it seems that in Iowa they don't even look what's really going.  Husband could careless about child support, but we don't want to pay in 2 states.  She should have to follow the law and call NC to have it increased, but she knows she can't because he is paying what he should.

I don't know if I really have a question or if I'm just venting because it just really bothers me he is getting pushed around like this. 

MixedBag

Hugs!

You have valid concerns.....there are a few that have had problems in the past with two different states.

Since you have an attorney -- follow their advice.

And in the meantime, get educated on the oh dear.....it's been a while and maybe someone else will chime in, but there's a law that governs all this -- UCCJEA?  I think is the acronym or UCCI  Uniform Code Child something...  Maybe a Google search will bring it up....drawing a total blank, thought I know I  printed it out a few times, but those boxes are stored in the attic.

andyg

Thanks so much for the support!!!  I feel like we are just hitting a brick wall with the Iowa courts.  My husband has been through so much with this woman, I really don't know how much more we can take.  But do keep going trying to do what is best for the child.

What's really sad is that before my husband found out he was the bio father, another man was court ordered to pay child support on this child.  The child and a sister were told that the other man was their father for many years.  It took the mother's mother to tell the man he might want to get a DNA.  I feel for both of those kids...wish we could help both of them.

Kitty C.

If you don't mind my asking...where in Iowa are we talking about?  I live in eastern Iowa and the BM certainly sounds shady to me.  And I do know of a couple father-friendly attys. locally, if you're interested.  I know that it's a PITA to have to deal with 2 different states on this....and the these attys. don't come cheap, but they are GOOD....but you might want to ask your atty. if it would be wise to try to consult with an Iowa atty. (someone who knows the system better and also where the weak spots are) to get this stopped.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

andyg

We have a lawyer in Ottumwa Iowa, but it is being heard in Appanoose County Iowa.  The judge is James Q Blomgren.  The lawyer seems to be ok, I think he is just as confused as us when it comes to the rulings of this judge.  Maybe it's just we are out of towners  :-\