Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 09:06:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The judge set support thousands higher than my income

Started by distressed57, Mar 08, 2012, 05:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

distressed57

I have been in a 6 year battle in the courts over child support with my ex wife. I use to make over $450k a year when married and then soon after we split my business which was tied to the housing market went under. I am now 57and find it impossible to get a job. The courts keep saying that I am a sophisticated business man and should have the capacity to earn a easy six figure income.

Their recent ruling is requiring me to pay ten of thousands in arrears that were accumulated when I lost my business and had no income and $3000 a month which I don't earn. I have only one child under 21.

I am concerned I will be in jail in 90 days in something doesn't occur. It all makes no sense. No job, no money, no assets but a demand from the courts that is impossible to meet. 

If I go to jail I will never earn anymore than minimum wage after this...My ex has made sure through the courts that all retirement money, homes, cars etc...have been lost. I literally own nothing after having a 30 year career where I gave my ex wife everything.

I don't know what to do.....Any suggestions????????

Waylon

Search this site for "child support"...you'll find a variety of pages with info on how to reduce support levels based on current circumstances:

Child Support (http://deltabravo.net/cgi-bin/search.cgi?Terms=child+support&Realm=All)

You'll almost certainly need an attorney to make any headway with the Support Enforcement people, because they're usually as thick as a brick. Keep in mind that they aren't interested in justice or fairness, what they want is money, plain and simple. Make it clear to them that it's just NOT going to happen, and point out to them that the economy and job market aren't what they used to be. They can't get blood from a stone, but they're welcome to try.
The trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

frankchi

What state do you live in?  All states have laws that protect income providers along with equitable distribution of assets.  And, do you have a civil agreement in place, or have the courts just determined what you are to pay from the beginning?  A civil agreement is one that would need to be modified and is more binding than the courts setting child support.  What is your situation.  And, as an aside, how did she end up getting everything anyway?