Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 20, 2024, 05:18:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Excessive absences and tardies

Started by superdad01, Feb 12, 2012, 07:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superdad01

Just had a question regarding an ongoing issue with the child. The child has had excessive absences and tardies in school. Actually this has been an ongoing issue. Currently this school year the child has missed 9 days of school and been tardy 17 times. The child is struggling in some subjects in school.

I don't know if this would be enough to slide the full custody factor my way. We currently have joint legal and physical custody, but she is the primary. I can certainly say that I would provide a better environment for the child to succeed.

I just don't know what to do. If I hire attorney etc, just to go back to court, just to have the judge say, well we will give her a chance to improve the situation or whatnot, it's a waste of my time and energy. I plan on addressing this issue with mother, however I don't believe it will end good.

I am hoping the school will inform the courts of the attendance issue, as I received a letter once from her former school for excessive absences. Then the absences were miraculously excused due to doctor excuses.

Just looking for some suggestions.

ocean

9 absences is def getting up there but the that is too many lateness. I would address that with mother through a registered letter "ex, Upon reviewing xx attendance records it has come to my attention the they have been late xx times as of xx date. If there is an issue on getting the kids/child to school, please let me know how I can help".

Also call the school and ask how many do they need to send an official letter, I would think the lateness one deserves a letter. Abs usually around 10-12 gets a letter. When you call the school also ask HOW late are we talking, a few minutes each day or missing a period or two?

If child is old enough, address with child too. I got your report card and it says you are late a lot, what is going on? Are you missing the bus? Need an alarm clock?

Courts usually doing not change primary placement easily so this would have to be documented by the school and they will prob give her a warning but if you have years past letters too, you may need to make a paper trail and a few trips to court to prove it. You can get "modification of parenting plan" papers at your local family court clerk intake unit. You can write "father requests to change his parenting days to all school days and mother is not getting child to school on time. In school year xx, attendance was xx, In school year xx, attendance was xx , Currently this school year, child has missed 9 days and late 17 times. Father has offered to take child to school. Mother would have parenting time after school and every other weekend. This will ensure that the child is getting to school on time and improves their grades"

MixedBag

What's the school district's policy?

sillystring

We are having a similar issue - we have 50/50. Even though mother only has to bring the child half the time, she has had 6 absences and 14 tardies. We got a letter from the school at 5, 10 and the school social worker gets involved at 15. My husband spoke with the social worker and got a report from him stating which days the child was late/tardy and whether it was excused or inexcused (12 of the tardies were inexcused but only 1 of the absences was). At our school, the parent has to sign in and give a reason why the child was tardy. The social worker told my husband we would be able to get copies of those as well.

So check your school policy and call the school to see who you need to talk to. Ask about the letters - I know at 5 they just sent one home with the child but at 10 the letter was actually mailed. Make sure you are on the mailing list to receive the letters. Also speak with the teacher to make sure the teacher keeps you informed as well. Don't talk bad about your ex, but let the school know that you are aware of the situation and concerned and trying to help.

We have addressed the situation with the ex, and even had a meeting with her and the teacher over it. She didn't have any tardies the last week she had her, but I guess we'll see about this week. We are planning on taking her back to court when we receive the letter for the 15th tardy.