Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 24, 2024, 05:08:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What is the chance on him ganing custody?? Placement??

Started by mamaof2, May 21, 2012, 06:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamaof2

I have to meet with a Judge next Friday to appoint a Guardian ad litem . Basically when my daughter was born her father and I were already split up (before I even knew I was pregnant we broke up) he wasn't ever there until she was about 4months old. Once he started coming around I let him take her every now and again. October of 2010 child support got involved and made us go to court and get paternity established and a court order because I collect foodshare. We both agreed in court to 50/50 custody and placement. Now that my daughter is older she needs to go to school. I tried to enroll her in headstart here where I live and her father refuses to give me permission and so now he wants her to go to school where he lives. We only live 20 minutes from eachother so it's not that far, but he doesn't have a car or a licnese. So whether she goes to school here or there, he has no way to get her there. She is in speech therapy once a week and he hardly ever makes it to those appointments. I filed a motion to change the placement which is why a Guardian is being appointed because we had mediation first and we didn't agree because now he wants full custody and placement.
The thing I'm worried about is back in August we had a discussion on facebook where I agreed to sign my rights off. I was stressed out at the time I had just had a baby in December and then lost my job cause they wouldn't give me maternity leave, and Tom and I just didn't agree on anything when it came to our daughter and it was just constant fighting and bickering and I thought it best if I just walked away. So I did let him keep her for about 4 months before I realized that was a stupid thing to do this is my child what is wrong with me and ever since I've been there. He is using this against me saying I abandoned her and I don't love her and all this stuff. I'm scared he's going to win custody because of that.
Some of the main facts that I can tell you is I have a car a license a job and i live in a house with a yard. He lives in a nasty neighborhood in a tiny nasty apartment which is always disgusting and messy I even have a police report stating the disgustingness of his place because I had to call the cops one time because he was smoking pot inf ront of my daughter when I went to pick her up. The police officer did report he could smell the weed but nothing else was done. He has no license and no car and he works at a bar part time. Which he only just started a few months ago when I informed him I was going to go back to court for her. Up until that point he hasn't even had a job since she was born.

Waylon

Quote from: mamaof2 on May 21, 2012, 06:07:22 PMThe thing I'm worried about is back in August we had a discussion on facebook where I agreed to sign my rights off.

I can't speak to the other issues, but I'm pretty sure that Facebook agreements aren't binding in Family Court. :)

Keeping the best interests of the child in mind, I'd suggest that you work out a joint custody agreement with him. It's better for everyone involved, both in the short- and the long-run.
The trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Spaceman1982

I just wanted to throw my two cents in. My children have been at the center of high conflict and IMO I DON'T AGREE WITH ANY JOINT ARRANGEMENT. Children in high conflict need stability over all my kids have done SO much better living with a parent and seeing the mom EOW. Straight A students. Joint custody is a better situation ONLY IF both parents see eye to eye and don't ever fight. Problem one for me is they try to be fair to the parents. Even Steven to speak. And if you think the kids don't pick up on parents who are at it like cats and dogs your wrong 

I commend parents who can full fill joint custody and pull it off. But in high conflict you encounter a lot of times a parent who uses the child as a weapon. Thus a stable life is much more nessicary that making a no loser situation, cuz only the kids lose then.