Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 01:13:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Supervised visitation with Diabetes

Started by baby.girl1979, Sep 12, 2012, 10:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visitation?

supervised
1 (50%)
unsupervised
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

baby.girl1979

My daughter's father and I have recently broken up and I am wondering how a judge might grant visitation in this case. I want my daughter to see her father but he has diabetes and is insulin dependent and has not seen his doctor in along time...

I have called 911 on several occassions at least 2 times per month in which his blood sugar level has been 26, 28, 32 and I have also had to give him sugar with orange juice on many occassions as well... My fear is for her safety and do not want them alone together. I am wondering in this case if I would be able to get supervised visits at least until she is old enough to understand and call 911 or give him sugar and orange juice... He does not take care of himself and some days he doesnt have anything all day but coffee...

I fear that he will be taking me to court soon... I have allowed him to visit her at my home and offered to go by his moms but I do not want him to pick her up or drive with her or be alone with her she is only 5 months old and I'm so worried for her safety if he is granted unsupervised visitations???

tigger

Is he aware of your concerns? Specifically that he could slip into a state incapable of taking care of her or summoning help for himself?
The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!

brwneyedmom

This is hard for me. I have diabetes, but don't have the out of control swings that go that low. I taught my son to call 911 for emergency when he was 3. He never needed to do it, but he knew how and practiced on every phone he passed by until he was about 5.
I would at least have a conversation with a diabetes educator and ask. You might have to pay for the session, but it would give you more concrete information.
I do understand your fear. But a judge might not.

ocean

Why has he not been to dr? Is he asking for more time or are you going to court soon?

tigger

Quote from: brwneyedmom on Sep 12, 2012, 02:56:25 PM
This is hard for me. I have diabetes,

I don't think diabetes is the problem in itself. I think the problem is that he hasn't been to his doctor in a long time, it's not under control and he has a history of letting it get to the point where medical intervention is necessary but he's unable to summons help for himself and the child is too young to do so.  If he slips into such a state, how long will the child be effectively unsupervised? I believe she has two concerns: 1) He may require medical attention and the child is too young to call for help. 2) The child is too young to be left unsupervised by a parent who becomes unable to even pour himself a glass of OJ.
The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!

brwneyedmom

That's why I had the disclaimer that it was hard for me. My ex tried to claim that I was not fit to parent due to my diabetes.
As a nurse, I can say that he clearly needs to get better control and to avoid so many dangerous low blood sugars that he cannot care for himself or his child.  Getting proof of better control and stabilized blood sugars will be a challenge for mom. 
My brother had a MVA due to a low blood sugar- this would have been avoided had he checked his sugar before driving.
One final experience- DS complained that his dad drove him to the store frequently after dad took his "happiness" pills- Paxil, muscle relaxers, pain medication, and I don't know what else. DS called them "happiness pills". I brought it up in court, wanting dad to take the meds AFTER returning from the store- because his driving scared DS. When my attorney asked dad what medications he took, dad stated "None of your business". The judge let it go. I don't know if this was due to a psych issue or not. I viewed it as a horrible cocktail to take and still be a responsible parent.
With so many Americans having diabetes, you can't guess what a judge would do or rule. I agree that dad needs some supervision until his diabetes control is more stable. How to get this is my question.
I do hope that I am not rambling, as I tend to do late at night....