Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 23, 2024, 12:07:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Florida dad seeking equal rights and time

Started by ka05trina, Oct 08, 2012, 10:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ka05trina

Greetings

I am a father in Hillsborough County Florida.  My child is primary school age.  Throughout my child's life I have fought hard, multiple times, just to get time to see my kid.  Originally when the agreement was first erected, I barely got to see my kid.  Yet, plenty of child support was mandated.  This go round, I filed to seek 50/50 Time Sharing.  This fight began one year ago and now we are in the final stages, as mom will not agree to anything and refuses to give me more time with my child.  I have retained a lawyer but am losing my confidence in the legal system.  All I want is as much time with my child as I can.  That is all I've ever wanted.  Mom knows that if I get this, child support is voided, as her income is higher than mine.  Not that I mind paying child support but I work a second job just to pay child support.  I am tired of living paycheck to paycheck and not even being able to enjoy my kid as much as any dad should have.   FYI:  Mom and I were never married, I have no record, I have always paid child support ON TIME, and one year ago Child Services was called on mom for leaving bruises on my child.

If anyone has any advice, resources, or ANYTHING, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ocean

50/50 is not normally given out in family court. It is not considered standard in almost every state. Things are starting to change but very very slowly. Since child is school age, be involved at school, teachers. If you can live in the same school district that usually helps as the child can take the bus to and from school from both parents house. Family court looks at overnights in visitation/split custody. Try not to deal with or bring up child support now, get the visitation ordered then deal with the child support. Use the time you have with child to the fullest, be involved in school and outside activities. If it is a public place for activity, you can both be at practice, dance class, or games. Find out what is going on in school that you can be involved in and be on their parent portal page online (access to records/attendance) and on mailing list. Some teachers will make you a folder to mail or you can pick up each week with everything that goes home to mom (picture day information, pta activities). Be at medical/dental appointments, if mom does not take child, make the appointments on your time. It is very hard and long fight to get 50/50 when parents do not agree.

Family court does not make sense.