Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 01:59:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

child support

Started by Morbiuss, Oct 13, 2012, 11:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morbiuss

a notice was filed in 1999 requiring me to pay 260 a month child support, in 2001 i moved to Michigan. I paid my support as best I could during the times I was employed from 1999 - 2006, several times from 2001 - 2007 or so I filed for support modification with Arizona courts the issuing court, they did not respond, I went to the Michigan courts and filed through them, they filed the paperwork as well 1 or 2 times, again the arizona courts did not respond, in 2006 I became Ill and unable to work, it was misdiagnosed as severe gout in the chest, finally in 2010 it was Diagnosed as congested heart failure and COPD. I am processing for disability and in 2010 tried to go back to work but after only a couple weeks had to quit because I was unable to physically handle it. Again I filed paperwork in regards to the matter. also the children were removed from custody from their mother because she went to jail for possession in like 2008 I dont know exact dates because I was never notified till after the fact because they suposedly couldnt find me even though ive been in constant contact with the michigan courts. Now I was issued a caretaker to take care of me because of my continued failing health and child support of arizona all of a sudden wants to harrass me again because I am now considered "self employed" because welfare of Michigan is paying someone to take care of me. oh and also my children had their names changed because they legally did not want the names I gave them.
Is there any way I can put a stop to this nonsense and get some peace?

ocean

1. They can not change their kids names unless you sign a document or there was a court hearing. If there was a court hearing, ask for the paperwork.
2. You have to deal with the original courts for child support, not your home state. Your home state will garnish paychecks and send it to the child's state but they can not change the amounts.

You need to file a modification of child support due to disability wherever the court order is from. If you have no income, they can not take anything from you at this point. When you start receiving disability, list the kids and they can get their own checks due to your disability. (This will not decrease your amount). Who is taking care of the children now? Any monies should be going to whoever is taking care of them. Once you fill out the paperwork add on there that you want a phone hearing as you are disabled and living with help in XX state. You should get a court date in 3-6 weeks in most states. Write something like "father requests a downward modification of child support as he is disabled and living with a caretaker. Currently father has no income. Father has filed for disability and added children so when he is approved the children will get SSDI checks."

Morbiuss

the problem is we have filed request many times over the years with Arizona for modification they have ignored the requests completely, Both children are now over the age of 18 have kids of their own etc the mother lost custody of the kids a few years ago how many I do not know for sure since the Arizona courts didnt try very hard to keep us informed

ocean

Not sure how you filed but if you have to, call a lawyer in original state and hire them to file the paperwork for you. I am guessing that now it really is not a modification as now you are just dealing with arrears, correct? Call legal aid in that state, you should qualify now and have them file for you. If mom is in jail, who is getting any money you send?

If the "children" are over 18, then they can change their name to whatever they want without you knowing about it as they are now adults.