Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 02:00:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Medical Assistance

Started by Apple, Nov 13, 2012, 11:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apple

BM contacted DH recently to tell him she's proud to say she is taking the kids off Medical Assistance.  After some back and forth, DH's determined the kids still qualify for it.

Medical Assistance picked up all uncovered medical expenses.  YSD has ADHD and has expensive medications. 

Bottom line, removing them from MA will cost both parenets more money.  Again, BM said she's doing this out of pride.  Does DH have any say at all about this?

They share legal custoday.  BM has physcial, and her income (or lack of it) is what qualifies the kids for MA.

tigger

Leaving them on there costs the taxpayers money.  As a taxpayer, I'd like to see them come off and be supported by the parents.  Why does he want them on there if they can come off?
The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!

Apple

Yes, in a perfect world no one would need assistance. 

The point of my question is, does the parent who qualifies for the MA have to be the one to enroll them?  And can BM decide to take them off, forcing DH to pay more for medical costs?

BM is deciding they can come off.  I believe she'll be in shock when she discovers how much she'll pay out of pocket.  She's new to the world of insurance and I supsect doesn't really understand what she's doing.

ocean

She is taking the off but how is she going to cover them now? Did she get a new job with medical?

Apple

She's not giving a lot of details - just that she's proud she can cover them.  I suspect she recently qualified for benefits at her job (McDonald's). 

I can't image she'd pay for things the county would cover, so I'm sure there's more to this that we'll uncover as time goes by.  But is she allowed to decide the kids won't have MA if they qualify?  As a result we're responsible for 50% of some very expensive ADHD medication.