Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 03:43:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Joint Custody and child support

Started by NYmom, Jan 23, 2013, 06:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYmom

My question involves child support when you have a joint custody arrangement. My ex and I came to an agreement on our own which I'm not sure is in my best interest anymore. We share custody of our two children equally. For the children's expenses we combine our income and calculate what we need to pay for the kids each month which equals about $750/month. My ex makes about $71,000/yr and I make $47,000/yr. He pays for 60% of the expenses which include child care and health insurance and I pay for the other expenses which include co-pays, medicine, clothing. We split equally the extra curricular activities. Currently because I have had no raise in my income in over 4 years I am struggeling to even pay this 40% on top of providing food and rent for the three bedroom apartment. My ex is remarried and has the luxury of a joint income- which I know is not important when figuring this stuff out- however- the kids clearly enjoy a higher standard of living with him then with me. I cannot provide any extras for them, take them on small trips or anyting like that and the kids feel it. I was thinking of asking my ex to provide me with $200 a month so assist with some of these things and then I would better be able to provide my 40% of my share of the expenses. Is this appropriate? Some people think I should be getting a lot more for child support even though we have joint custody. I think the difference in income should matter. Please let me know what your thoughts are because I wuold like to get together and discuss with my ex as soon as possible. Thank you!

tigger

Has there been an increase in his income?  Not his household income, just his? If so, then yes, the percentages need to be recalculated because they are no longer 60/40. 

Run the numbers through the state CS calculator.
The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!