Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 08:45:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Are We Separated?

Started by shestricky, Mar 21, 2013, 01:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shestricky

My wife claims to have filed legal separation papers.  She says this was done, well, by now it would have been over a month ago.  I'm in Contra Costa county - when I search the county web site nothing appears in either my wife's name (maiden or married) or in my name.  I have not been served. 

I have seen the papers - she did have them notarized by someone who is a local notary in our town.  She tells me I don't have to sign and that she doesn't have to serve me.  Now, I know, well, no, in fact I don't know what this means.  I think her motivation is to protect herself from the fact that she is having an emotional affair (at this point) with an old high school boyfriend, and she thinks filing protects her.  I've been trying to get her to tell me what the heck she's doing - that California is a no fault state and that her having this boyfriend really doesn't matter too much in the grand scheme of things so long as it doesn't affect her ability to be a parent...and that's an entirely different story and thread I'll start later.

Does anyone know?  Are we legally separated if I haven't been served?  I'm confused and I'm not sure what to do at this point to protect myself.

Waylon

Quote from: shestricky on Mar 21, 2013, 01:48:23 PMDoes anyone know?  Are we legally separated if I haven't been served?  I'm confused and I'm not sure what to do at this point to protect myself.

The BEST thing you can do right now is consult an attorney. Do do anything until you've done that.
The trouble with reality is that there's no background music.