Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 01:54:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Help

Started by sadinmd, Apr 26, 2013, 08:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sadinmd

I am the father of a 3 1/2 yr old daughter.  She currently lives in WV with her mother. I have been attempting to go through the court for a 1 1/2 to get visitation and shared legal custody.  My daughter was born in MD so that is where I started.  The MD court advised that since she had lived in WV for more than 6 months I should seek remedy there.  This week I attended the trial with the mother.  She is fighting my request indicating that "I have never tried to be a part of my daughter's life."  When the truth is she lets me see her only when the mood strikes.  I tried to work it out with her for 2 years.  I have only been allowed to share one holiday with my daughter.  Last year I was permitted to visit with her for 10 days total.  I think the WV family court judge was ready to issue a parenting plan, since she wouldn't agree to mediation, but at trial it came out that she had not put my name on the birth certificate.  I have an order from the MD court stating that I am the natural father based on a DNA test.  I am hoping that with this document I can have my name added - but I still have to start the whole process over.  Anyone else run into similar situation?

ocean

Surprised they took the case without paternity paperwork. Usually that is the first step. Did the judge give you another date? Did you tell judge you had paperwork proving you are the father?

The courts have seen it all so do not worry too much on what mother is saying. Get the paternity established and get the parenting plan on paper. You can ask for temporary parenting plan while you go through court. Get it as detailed as you can and even put in there what happens when child goes to Kindergarten. You go not want to have to redo this in a year. Look at a school calendar near her (usually online) and see when school holidays are, holiday schedule with Father's day weekend, child's birthday, your birthday and big holidays. Plus summer vacation time. Get dates and times whenever possible and where you will meet for drop off/ pick ups. Look on this site for parenting plans and get one that fits your needs.

sadinmd

thanks so much for the advice, especially about school schedule.