Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 23, 2024, 11:53:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Joint custody

Started by Charles, Jan 10, 2014, 07:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles

I have a stable home, steady job and try to see my 5 month old daughter as much as I'm allowed due to her mother not allowing me to have overnights, further limiting my time. The mother is wanting an every other weekend schedule, however this would limit me further then what I am now, and I want to play an active role in raising my daughter. What is the likelyhood of a judge awarding 50/50 joint physical custody?

ocean

How far away do you live from child now?
Were you married to the mother?

If you were not married, you have to prove paternity first with the family courts. Either way, go to your family court office and fill out custody (paternity) and visitation (parenting plan). Ask for joint legal custody- for medical/school issues and a parenting plan.

Most baby schedules, have a few days a week so you both can see child. Is there a way to make it better for both parent schedules? Have every other weekend (take it, if she is offering) and then 2 times a week after work? Could you pick up from daycare/house? Is there an issue to what time baby is being brought back? Every other weekend schedule usually has 1 mid week visit anyway.

Depending on well you get along, if you agree, your work/school schedule, and how far apart you are, will all influence if 50/50 would work. Child should be either parent before a babysitter. Take ANY time she offers until you get to court. Start the every other weekend overnights before you file to show that you can do overnights might be a good idea too.

Good luck, ask questions. Paperwork for courts may be online for your area so you can have them filled out before court. You can hire a lawyer at anytime during the process or if she gets a lawyer. There are also mediation or counselors who can help you both come up with a schedule so you do not spend a fortune in family courts if you wind up getting a lawyer. See if she will go with you. Family court is not friendly and not fast at all so you both will spend a lot of time and money there if you don't compromise....