Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 01:50:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How can I find her - when DCSS has an open case?

Started by guyguy, Feb 19, 2014, 05:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guyguy

I'm a dad, and my ex is mad at me for visiting with our child at my new girlfiriend's parent's house one holiday when she let me see my child. Since then, she's changed her phone number and moved to a different city and I haven't seen my child. Meanwhile, she is getting child support from me through DCSS (California).

I want to serve her an OSC by mail to get my visitation/custody, but DCSS won't give me her listed address. Can they withhold that information from me? Or should I expect that they will process the service by mail?

Help

ocean

Is your child school age? Go to old school and get forward information to new school. Call new school, request copies of perm record with emergency card and registration card. Address will be on there. Use letter from this site to send to school.

If under 5 years old, internet searches? you can serve her at her job if she has one.

Do you have court ordered visitation at all yet? If you do, file contempt of court papers for not allowing visits. Depending on the court procedures, the courts/sheriff may serve her for that.

If you do not have any court ordered visitation, then file in family court - custody and visitation plan papers.

Hire a process server/investigator in new city to find her and serve her. Family house addresses?

Do you have online child support account with state? open one, see if you can get to addresses that way.

If you file and can not serve her, you will still have hearing and then you can request that cse give the courts the address so she can be served or payments stopped if there is no updated address. They will keep putting off court date until she is served. My experience, do what it takes to get her served as the courts take their time.

guyguy

Thanks Ocean.

I should have added more detail: Our child is 3, not yet in school. No order for visitation/custody yet, that's what I'm trying to do now. I have a court date upcoming (CA) but haven't served her successfully yet. I should be able to serve her by mail, but don't have an address. No money to hire an investigator.

Going with getting the address from DCSS seems to be a good idea, either directly, or through a court hearing. I also have her previous address/parent's address and might try to do service by mail through those locations. Any other suggestions?

MixedBag

Here in Alabama -- you have to attempt to have the person served at the two last known locations.

THEN you file a motion with the court to have her served via public notice in the newspaper where it appears three weeks in a row.

But you're in California....  my point in sharing is that THERE IS A WAY and many times that road is difficult to figure out by yourself, but there is a way. 

We're not attorney's here....just parents.  keep that in mind.

guyguy

Thanks MB.

DCSS says, I need to subpoena them and then I'll get it. So, I'll figure that out. Thanks. I'll also use her mother's address + her last known. That should do it.