Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 04:07:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sunburn

Started by MomonamissionNY, Jun 19, 2014, 11:54:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MomonamissionNY

So my son S11 came to me for a visit and I could tell he was acting funny and found out that his back and chest are sunburned pretty good.  I put aloe on it and I took pictures.

Saying anything to Sgt. Exlax is a waste of time and the only way I can get S11 to a doctor to have it looked at is to bring him into the emergency room.  This would have taken more than the three hours I had him for visitation.

Other than being documented and pictures any advice what to do or what I should do in future?

Waylon

Quote from: MomonamissionNY on Jun 19, 2014, 11:54:11 AMOther than being documented and pictures any advice what to do or what I should do in future?

I'd explain about sunburn to him and send him back with a bottle of sunscreen (make sure he knows how to use it).

Sometimes there's not much you can do about stuff like this; no judge will consider this sort of thing worth addressing unless it becomes a genuinely serious hazard to the child. And your ex seems unlikely to change his ways, so....

I agree it's a problem, but your best bet may to to educate your child about sunburn and how to avoid it.
The trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

ocean

Yup! Sending home sunscreen will make your point known. Many kids were sunburned last weekend in NY so not the best parenting but not something to go crazy about either. Could have happened on your time too....

MomonamissionNY

Last year when S11 got sunburned (so bad he had blisters) I called my lawyer for advice on what to do (not how to treat the burn) and that's what he told me to do, send sunscreen back with them and educate kids on how to use it and when.  Long story short Sgt. Exlax threw it at me and then called the cops on my husband and tried to have him arrested, lied and said he was irate and almost ran a kid over.

This time around I explained to S11 that unless he is just running from house to car or car to building he needs to put sun screen on and then reapply every hour.  I explained to him about the sun damaging his skin.  I just know how kids are and that they probably won't listen because they are kids.