Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 17, 2024, 07:18:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Question(s) About Custody Evaluation Cost / Home Study

Started by durandal, Apr 03, 2007, 09:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

durandal

Many of you know a little about my case. Child lives with BM, I have temp. visitation until matter is resolved - all parties reside in VA.

We were court ordered to have home evaluations, and are past filling out the questionnaires. Of course, I filled out the necessary documents, including an income statement.

Fast forward a week - I was told by the CW (case worker) that I needed to come in to the office for an office visit. I was also told to bring in over $600 as payment for the service, and that if I didn't make the meeting this would reflect badly on her evaluation.

Okay, no problem with going to the meeting. But I have told the courts repeatedly that my financial situation is difficult right now, and that I have been taking steps to improve the situation. More specifically, they ALWAYS calculate (court, CW's, system) off of your gross income, and never what you take home. I've told the court that any payments taken out of my paycheck are non-voluntary deductions - I can't stop paying them. Of course, the BM pays nothing!!!

Since the lions share of it is in the form of child support, I thought they would consider that. But they don't - they are just milking me for money. Nobody cares about what's best for my daughter - its all about $$$ and it's disgusting.

Question: Does anyone know how I can convince them to reduce the amount, or at least allow me to make payment arrangments? Do they ever even "negotiate" with father's like me?

I'm not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel...

mistoffolees

I don't know how to get the amount reduced, but if it's any consolation, my custody evaluation was $2,500.

notnew

You can file a motion to reduce or waive payments. I am not aware of your financial position, but I think I'd be safe in saying I highly doubt they'd approve such a motion.

The cost of the evaluations should be borne by both parties equally. I think if your motion does not state this, then maybe you will get farther if you ask for her to be responbile for 1/2 since it is her actions that have brought this case before the court.

Yes, if you don't make the meeting, it will not look good on you. No, the court's don't care what your financial condition is. And, no they say they are out to represent the best interests of the child, but they are not. They really do want the money. They want you and the mother to agree and stop coming into the court. If you can't agree, they will make you pay. That is the way it is. Yes, it is disgusting.

Find a way to get the $600 so you can pay for the evaluation. You want the case worker to see you in the best possible light. You could present yourself as JC himself and if the case worker just doesn't like you or buys the mothers sob story,  you could still get a rotten report.

You can only do the best you can. After you get over these initial costs, trials and tribulations, you will be able to see your child on a more consistent basis.

You have temp. visitation. Make the most out of it. don't miss any and I hope things work out for the best.

Going through this type of experience makes you see a lot in a whole different light. Don't make the mistake of allowing your anger and frustration to be seen by those making the decisions about your future with your child. Understand, they are making the decision about your involvement with your child and you'll have to live with them for a long time.

I know these are trying times. I wish I could paint a better picture.

notnew

Good grief. Mine was with a court ordered evaluator and cost $250 for each of us.

durandal

I hear what you're saying. I know the court isn't going to reduce the cost. I also know that they aren't going to make her pay for anything - she doesn't work, she just collects joe (and jill) taxpayer's hard-earned money.

With setbacks around every bend, I'm finding it harder to stay focused and on task with my daughters' well being day-by-day. She means everything to me.

Heaven help me and all guys going thru this...

That's enough whining for one day. Thanks folks for giving me the square truth of it.

d

escape2paradise

I know when you don't have it $600 is a lot of money.  You may want to count yourself thankful.  Our GAL retainer was $2000, split down the middle, however, my attorney says to expect the final bill to be around $5000 or $2500 each!!!  Absolutlely ridiculous!!!!