Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 08:39:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Imputing minimum wage for a college grad

Started by jascha, Jul 25, 2015, 11:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jascha

My ex has been a professional student for last seven years since our divorce in 2008. She obtained a Bachelor's degree in
last July 2014. The employment evaluation done in February 2014 said she could immediately earned $40,000 a year (10 months) as a math teacher and provided names of schools that were hiring, and also suggested she could tutor math in the summer for additional $2-3,000 income.

She has been steadfastly refusing to work while living with her BF for three years now. She maintains that she is a full time Masters degree student in Math and Art and won't be able to work till 2017. The judge last week imputed MINIMUM WAGE for her. As a result, I will have to pay her CS of more than $600 and the judge also imposed part of her attorney's fee to me.

My question: Did the judge abuse his discretionary power by imputing min wage while we have an employment expert
saying otherwise as of last year? Minimum wage for a person with a higher education degree seems to go against
market and societal norms and is, a slap on the face for the value of education.

Is this ground for appeal?

Appreciate any input.

MixedBag

That's a tough call....I can say my EX tried that and I successfully defended, though my reason was not because I was going to school.

Also, I can share that I have two grown children who have graduated college -- and both of them took a while to get hired into the correct profession (one is still in a stepping stone position, but she's now an employee who can laterally transfer vs. an off the street applicant), and both those processes took time.

You'll have to find case law in YOUR STATE to support your position to appeal -- and rather quickly because normally you have to file that you want to appeal in 30 days after the order is signed.

So I say it's a crap shot....

None of us here at this site, or in this section are attorneys.....

superdad01

I had a similar issue. My ex was a registered nurse and claimed she couldn't find a job. I had 2 inch stacks of job openings from monster and other career websites not to mention a family member who is also a registered nurse testify that their are openings in her field as well as open positions at their employer. None of it mattered. I guess I had time to make up dozens and dozens of job openings so I could waste my time coming to court.