Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 07:08:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Preventing child from grandparent with psychiatric issues

Started by danedad, Aug 10, 2015, 11:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danedad

My ex wife's parents are planning to visit her and I want to protect my 9 year old son from spending time with them - especially the grandfather. He has a history of physically assaulting his wife. Last year, my son witnessed one such incident. This man is also extremely emotionally unstable and I saw my son being terrified of him when they were visiting my ex last year. Is there ANYTHING at all I can do legally to prevent my son from having to see him ? I live in Wisconsin. Also the grandparents are not US nationals.

ocean

Prob not until the next incident. If anything else happens , document it and then you would have to go to family court and either get a restraining order for your son against grandfather (but this would only happen if something was done in front of son recently).

Teach son do dial 911 if two adults are fighting. Also your cell number. He is young but you can get him a kid cell phone that dials a few numbers. Tell son to leave room if they are fighting until things calm down. Teach him he can be nice, respectful but then go play and leave adults alone if something is brewing.

Depending on your relationship with ex, you can pre-warn her of your concerns and that you will file an RO against grandpa if he repeats his actions of last visit. Adults sometimes argue but if there is a history with police reports to back your claims then you have a right to talk to ex about it.

danedad

So, I can file a restraining order against grandpa on behalf of my son ?

ocean

Yes...but would need good recent reason. They may give you a temp RO but then grandpa has the right to a hearing to defend himself.

Many states have online court cases, you can see if grandpa has any recent arrests/cases pending.

MixedBag