Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 03:58:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

So child is in counciling

Started by superdad01, Oct 06, 2015, 05:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superdad01

Recently placed the child in counseling. Schools recommended it due to what they think is depression. Very well could have some depression in there. Mom finally agreed that something is going on, however she will won't realize that she is a major contributor to what's going on.

I'm assuming I will be chatting with them as well. How do I address the topic of parental alienation. Or is this therapist gonna treat me like one of them crazy dads... haha

Questions to ask therapists?

I'm also paranoid about falling to into traps that will somehow come back and bite me say we end up back in court over custody again.

MixedBag

Focus on what's going on -- and don't use the words "parental alienation"

Read the book Divorce Poison. 

ocean

Is counseling being done at school?

If it is at school , then they do not usually diagnose, just give school based counseling. Showing child how to function at school mostly. How to use their emotions properly. Ask to meet with counselor and tell them you are willing to help in anyway you can.

If it is not at school, offer to meet with counselor and charge it through your insurance so you have an hour to talk to them. Offer to come to any future sessions with child if they think that would help. Keep it focused on child and bring any important court papers in binder just in case other parent was not honest about situation. Only bring it out if something comes up to prove a lie. This may be a good thing as if the counselor is good, you can have family sessions with you and daughter if the therapist is willing. You can offer for family sessions to be under your name/insurance so it does not interfere with her sessions. This prob wont start right away as the therapist will want to get to know her but make your appt with her now so she can help her appropriately. A good counselor is hard to find so hopefully daughter connects and therapist willing to do her job.

papabear72

My children are in counseling also. I am in the same situation with a mother that is causing the issues. The counseling should be about the children and being apart of it is very important. Do not bad mouth the mother but concentrate on helping your child move on. Hopefully you will get a decent counselor because I can honestly say mine is not. She refuses to discuss anything let alone trying to get to the root problem. Basically my children go and talk and we leave. Nothing better. I tried to get them to see a real therapist/psychologist but no one will see them without mothers permission.
Hopefully yours will be better.

MixedBag

Papabear72....Divorce Poison.  Best help EVER.