Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 04:38:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

whenyou file for custody, do you lose child support?

Started by balleros, Dec 18, 2015, 11:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

balleros

someone told me that if you file for full custody, you lose child support.Is this accurate?
I do get child support and my son has my name but I never filed for custody
Now we have a court date soon.
Dad only spent 30 minutes with child since he has born in 2011. Dad lives 60 miles away and he has never made any parenting decision.
If I lose child support, then I will re think it

tigger

No, you don't lose CS for filing for custody. 
The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!

Justabovewater

No you don't lose CS for filling Custody. Child support is usually a formula of how much time one parent has the children and the amount of income the Parents make.

MixedBag

Justabovewater -- CS is very different from State to State as to what goes into the calculations (careful!)....some use only NCP, some use both.  some use ALL income, some use only 40 hours a week.  Some tack on day care and medical, some done.   (And as the STEP-NCP, mine was taken into consideration in the State of NV years ago when determining NCP's CS.....as 50% of mine was considered joint property in a community property state -- Humboldt County by the "didn't get re-elected Judge Sullivan)

ocean

Yup, in NY it is strictly by the numbers..... 17% for one child or 25% for two children of NCP salary. Also some states go to 18 years old and some to 21 years old or older if in college.