Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 04:20:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Teen Visitation Question

Started by justamom00, Sep 07, 2016, 10:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justamom00

My sons father and I have been divorced since he was 2 and he is now 16. The past 4 years, he has been absent from my sons life. He just remarried and now wants a relationship and visitation with our son again. My son expressed no desire to see him or talk to him. I have tried to support my son talking to or seeing his Dad and he refuses. Any advice?

MixedBag

I'd say keep pushing -- convince him to do something shorter than a full weekend and stuff....and help both dad and child back to a good relationship.

Maybe suggest -- force -- a dinner date?

My EX sat back and didn't "force" our son to do some simple stuff and got his arse chewed.  I supported and made sure my girls put their dad on their schedule and that he was a priority...  (Different divorces)...

I really feel like teens take their lead from the custodial parent....and you gotta keep reminding them that THEY don't make the rules, YOU do because you're the parent and if they go off and "get in trouble" YOU the parent gets in trouble too -- the LAW says you are stuck with each other until they are old enough and are emancipated.....Tough $hit, you're stuck with me, just as I am stuck with you.