Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 06:45:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Termination of one parents rights

Started by alexander, Nov 29, 2016, 12:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexander

I have full custody of my grandson and the mother wants us to terminate her rights. This child was put in the DHS system when he was 4 months. He is now 4 and we, the grandparents have full custody. The father doesn't want to terminate his rights and has had visitation for the  past year with child. The mother and I are in different states.  How do I terminate her rights? DHS is no longer involved in this case since I took full custody.

ocean

If you have full custody, why is mom asking to terminate rights? Is she paying child support? Maybe let her take it back to court if she wants it so badly.

alexander

The mom did drugs while she was pregnant and shot my son in the eye close range with a BB gun. He now has a glass eye. the state I live in gives free daycare for grandparents and makes the parents pay per child support for the daycare. I believe the support is the reason she is ready to give him up.

On another note she has had 2 more children. the second child was also born  with drugs in his system and was taken at birth. She now has two of her children with her. She is violent, a druggie and has several records of breaking and entering and stealing. She would hurt my grandson just to get back at my son. I need to protect this child. I would love to have her rights terminated just to protect him. It is her decision to terminate her rights.

My son is active in his life and is not willing to terminate his rights.

ocean

Well, the state may not allow her to terminate since they are collecting for her. You would lose any benefits from the state. Either of you can petition the courts for termination. You may want to call a local lawyer and see if it is possible to do this mostly out of court as a termination/adoption maybe? If you son will allow you do adopt then child can see him whenever you want. Usually courts dont like to do termination without an adoption so the state does not wind up paying for child with state benefits. See what a local lawyer says and how much can be done without a trial.
Good luck!

MixedBag