Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 23, 2024, 10:19:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

mom gone for 2x

Started by delaware, Feb 25, 2008, 02:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delaware

Eight years ago I picked my children up for a weekend visits(just seperated and going through the divorce) mom left a note in kids bag asking me to keep the kids because she couldnt handle them. She didnt see them for 3 months. went to court and got joint custody with residence with me. In the next 7 years mother had everyother weekend visits that sometimes were consistent and sometimes not.Mother was in a very unstable relationship that every few months they would break up and she had no where to live. There was domestic vilolence that my children witnessed. Last year it all came to a head. She stopped all visits and all contact. Children were devestated. Have 9 year old in therapy. I filed for custody mod. to get sole custody and supervised visits. Went to mediation and she actually showed, first time seen her in almost 1 year. She wouldnt agree to sole custody so we have to go in front of a judge. I dont have a problem with visits once she can extablish a consitent schedule. She is back with the bf that the dv was with and I dont want the children around the situation. What are my chance at getting sole custody? WHat kind of documentation should I take with me to court? Am I aloud to bring witnesses to court?

MixedBag

your attorney would know best -- if you have one -- because he/she knows the states' rules of evidence for your situation.

Even for witnesses, there are rules and procedures for all of this and each state has their own rules.

You say "I filed" for a modification -- did you do it or did your attorney do it?

Do you have police reports to back up the dv situation?

delaware

had a lawyer for the first case. Went to him for advice and he didnt think we would need him unless we wanted him.The dv was in  MD and yes we do have the info on it. The bf dropped the charges but there is documentation in MD courts going back 3 years.