Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 08:43:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

GAL Question

Started by dipper, Jun 09, 2017, 07:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dipper

I have tried to research the role of the GAL and it appears that it varies from state to state and even court to court.  Some courts have clearly defined rules - others don't.  My question is - can the GAL legally share your concerns with the other side?    This would allow the other side to correct issues prior to court and seems unfair to me....

ocean

I would say yes. The GAL job is to make things easier for the kids. So our GAL would "help" us but being the "voice of reason" with ex. GAL should be trying to get things smoothed over for children and if not, testify at trial about what needs to be court ordered as the parents are not working it out themselves. GAL is NOT your lawyer so be very careful. Some GALS will do their job and talk to teachers, ask for school records, talk to kids when they are with each parent and by themselves, talk to other family members when needed, and make recommendations on temp and perm schedules in court.

MixedBag

I would say yes too.

GAL represents the children.

ALSO what you can share with the GAL as evidence where the rules of evidence are concerned is much more lenient...not like sharing evidence in a courtroom.

dipper

Thank you both for your responses.  The GAL did discuss some issues with the other side.  Nothing has been discussed with us as far as concerns.  We do know the GAL feels our case was not properly represented previously.  Next is the home visit.  We had met with an attorney who told me to give a copy of my notebook to GAL, so we did.  We have since retained that attorney.