Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 24, 2024, 11:21:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Emancipation

Started by nycmosh, Jul 14, 2008, 11:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nycmosh

i just turned 17 and my mom kicked me out (which happened to my 2 older brothers also) im living with my dad in ohio which is really inconvienient for work and school when it starts. if i get an income based appartment, i make enough to support myself, considering ive been buying everything i need for the past year anyways. i was wondering how i would go about getting emancipated if my dad doesnt want to give up his parental rights

Kitty C.

Emancipation laws can differ from state to state.  Primarily though, you must be able to prove to the court that you are completely self-sufficient, without assistance from others.  You will need to file with the court of your desire to become emacipated, but I would strongly recommend researching your state laws to determine exactly what you need to have in place first, before you waste your time getting involved with the court, in case you aren't eligible.  Some laws may require both parents to agree and sign as well.......that's something you will need to find out, too.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

MixedBag

one other thought that I just had...

Here in AL, the legal age to enter a contract is 19.

Has nothing to do with family law, or divorce courts, and stuff.

Even when the girls graduated high school, they were not allowed by normal AL law to enter into a contract (translation sign for an apartment lease) until they turned 19.

No cell phone in their name...

No car loan...

No credit card...

Just a job.

Not even sure they were allowed to open a bank account without my help.

So....tread carefully, you may just need the assistance of your dad and not know it (just yet for a while).