Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 12:36:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I have primary physical custody or do I????

Started by itiswhatitis, Jul 31, 2008, 11:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itiswhatitis

I finally received the custody evaluation report, regarding my wife & I's 5 year old, from our neutral evaluator & I am more confused than when I started this exhausting process.
It clearly states, in the report, that I am "better disposed to be the primary custodial parent"  & the "Father to have primary physical custody subject to a roughly equal parenting time schedule".  
The parenting time schedule is 2-2-5-5 day type schedule, meaning, 2 days me, 2 days her, 5 days me,5 days and so on.  
I understand our son needs to see his mother but, I thought being a primary custodial parent means the child sleeps, eats the majority of the time at that parent's home.  According to this report, he will, over a 2 week period, sleep at my home 7 nights & my soon to be ex-wife's home 7 nights as well. How does that make me a primary or physical custodial parent????

Davy

Hey itiswhatitis it is what it is.

Congrats !  You have in writing what many only whisper then write down mom is sole and dad has visitation 1 weekend per month  (it still hurts to see that).

ocean

It is more a legal thing...for school ect...
That is great that you got primary!

janM

Ok, so this is the recommendation? It's not a court order yet? Are you headed back to court to see if the judge ok's it? Hope he does.

gollymolly

confused....
if it really is 'just a legal thing'.
then why are there so many congrats on getting 'primary'?
are we now condoning the use of power in this role?

Fueledbyjava

Until a judge o.k's it nothing is for certain although it sounds like you've got this one in the bag. It is a legal thing for school, taxes, medical etc. The visitation is seperate and the judge can modify that as he or she sees fit. Basically it is recomendation that will carry significant weight with the judge. Do I have this right everyone?

ocean

When parents divorce and do not agree, one parent will be named primary. This is so the child can be enrolled in school, dr's deal with this parent, etc..

Fathers do not usually get this role so this is a BIG win if the judge goes with it. It usually means that he is the parent that will make the best decisions and help encourage visitation more and share info with the other parent. Maybe he already was doing all of this and the evaluator wants to continue what already is happening.

MixedBag

no....

I think most of us are saying congrats because father's still don't see this happening very often.

Time is 50/50, and then the Father's the primary?

Not many can say that.

gollymolly

i don't think primary makes decisions.

isn't that shared?