Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 09:23:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Has anyone been ordered to attend co-parenting counseling?

Started by gemini3, Oct 09, 2008, 01:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gemini3

My husband and I have been ordered by the court to attend co-parenting counseling with his ex and her new husband.

I was wondering if anyone else has been through this and what their experience has been.  So far, it hasn't helped much at all - but we're hopeful that, if we ever have to go back to court, we'll have an unbiased 3rd party who's been around to see what's really going on.

I'm not sure if it would be helpful though, or how much weight the court would give the counselors testimony, or if they would consider the counselors recommendation as to who would be the better parent.

I'm interested to hear others thoughts, experiences, suggestions.

gollymolly

you say it is co-parenting 'counseling'? not coordination?
like a psychologist?

in my case we are the brink of a coordinator being court ordered... and possibly co-parent counseling (but i doubt it)

gemini3

Counseling - and LCSW to be exact.

The court order reads "Both parties and their respective spouses are to engage in co-parenting counseling."

MixedBag

my friend got ordered to do this...

And so far they've had one session.  BUT the steps were not included.

IMHO -- it takes an awesome and skilled counselor to break through a brick wall.

It takes all parties to truly put the child(ren) first and not to HIDE behind "for the sake of the child" when the decision isn't really in the best interest of the child (like pushing one parent out).

Good luck!

My friend's counselor sees through dad's actions and manages to keep him in check -- which of course he doesn't like.  Yes, a dad stepping out of bounds -- BOTH genders do this, not just moms and not just dads.

BecauseIJustDid

They can order new spouses to do it too? Wow. I didn't know that. My DH just got ordered to go to a two part class. I am only allowed to attend the first part, voluntarily, for a small fee. We decided it was for the better since we have a blended family. Our class is next month.

tclouser

My fiance is court ordered to attend a Co-parenting class, it's a four hour session at a facility call Life Steps.  When we filed for custody it was put in a court order that him and his ex must attend.  It's $50 a person....I'm attending since we are also a blended family, I'm not required but am interested in hearing what they have to offer.  Apparently his ex went through this with her daughter and her father so she is saying that she doesn't have to do it again....not sure on that one.  Don't know if there is a time limit on how long its good for or not.  She will need proof that she attended so hopefully she has checked into it.  Good luck with what you are going through...I plan on posting what the class we are taking is like.  We attend Dec 6.
QuoteRealize what's important in your life, what you can live with, but more importantly what you can't live without!

lucky

Several years ago, dh, his ex and myself (yes I was "ordered" - the judge was very specific that if I didn't go, dh would lose custody so I didn't really have any choice even though the judge couldn't legally make me) were ordered to go to the co-parenting class offered in our area.  Dh & I both went, his ex "forgot" and got away with it - of course she didn't have much to lose as she didn't have a snowball's chance of winning custody as long as dh and I followed through.

The course was very, very good, however, if a parent simply doesn't want to cooperate, it won't make any difference.  Keep that in mind when you go and always try to take the high road, no matter how difficult that is - and I know how difficult it can be (and was unsuccessful probably as often as successful, but I kept trying!).
Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip. ~  Will Rogers