Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 02:41:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Custody/Visitation appeal

Started by 4mylilbuddies, Feb 07, 2004, 03:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4mylilbuddies

I need desparate help.  After a very long, drawn out divorce with child custody issues, the judge came up with a very fair and equitable custody/visitation plan for my 2 sons.  I live in Arizona and the Ex lives in California with my lil buddies.

She felt the order was not fair and filed an appeal in the Ventura County Superior Court.  My problem is a money issue.  So far, this divorce has put me into the hole almost $20,000.  Needless to say, I'm strapped way thin.  Because of this divorce, my credit has gone to heck, I can't get a loan or credit card, and all of my resources have dried up.  I need to retain an Appeals attorney in Ventura County.

Could anyone out there please advise me on where I can get some help either through an attorney or a resource so I can retain an attorney.

Thank you.

MissManners

Have you considered the possiblity of going pro se?

LizaLou1

Why are you changing counties? Why can't you use the same attorney? You need to keep it in the same jurisdiction and same judge.  Is this a real appeal or is she forum shopping in her jurisdiction to get a better decision.  

In our case the BM tried to get the case moved to FL because she didn't like the AL judge.  It's much less expensive and easier for us to manage keeping the case within our jurisdiction.  Also, she has history with our judge.

LizaLou

gipsy

well from what I know they have to accept the appeal , So I would see if thats the case ,Secondly 20k for a custody case is a lot of money , I have an atty that  charged 3k for my case. Her atty charged her 20 K Also . there were very little differences in what they said or did . Except that Her atty deposed me and subpeone some info , Of wich By now You should see As I did that there was very little that really goes on at trial , I believ that She has to state the reason for her appeal , So Maybe you could go read it , Any way the point is there are self help internet sites , And as a matter of fact I will be most likely divorcing My current wife , I will do it pro se and had My atty get the papers filled out ,There isnt much to argue , You just need to know what there will be to argue , Maybe you could  get the papers she filed and interview a few attys And get some help . I believe that You could postpone this ,  Ask the attys if you could file something to dismiss the case .And try it pro se , If It doesnt get dismissed then You may want to keep talking to attys . Attys don't have to cost a lot .  , My case went on for four years , So Talk to a bunch of attys , You will find a cool one like Mine and he could just tell you what to say or what Your argument will be , Or how to set the trial date out farther . Like in My case we wanted to let the psycho continue doing stupid stuff , And I had one of the worst judges here , So Three days before trial We file a  affidavit of predjudice , And that set the trial out 11 months , I don't know if you could file that particular document at appeals court but talk to enough atty;s and one of them may find a way to send the date out [way out ] and look at when the trial date is. It might take years to get to appeals any way , Look at the options , It may be a while till appeals any way ,

gipsy

well from what I know they have to accept the appeal , So I would see if thats the case ,Secondly 20k for a custody case is a lot of money , I have an atty that  charged 3k for my case. Her atty charged her 20 K Also . there were very little differences in what they said or did . Except that Her atty deposed me and subpeone some info , Of wich By now You should see As I did that there was very little that really goes on at trial , I believ that She has to state the reason for her appeal , So Maybe you could go read it , Any way the point is there are self help internet sites , And as a matter of fact I will be most likely divorcing My current wife , I will do it pro se and had My atty get the papers filled out ,There isnt much to argue , You just need to know what there will be to argue , Maybe you could  get the papers she filed and interview a few attys And get some help . I believe that You could postpone this ,  Ask the attys if you could file something to dismiss the case .And try it pro se , If It doesnt get dismissed then You may want to keep talking to attys . Attys don't have to cost a lot .  , My case went on for four years , So Talk to a bunch of attys , You will find a cool one like Mine and he could just tell you what to say or what Your argument will be , Or how to set the trial date out farther . Like in My case we wanted to let the psycho continue doing stupid stuff , And I had one of the worst judges here , So Three days before trial We file a  affidavit of predjudice , And that set the trial out 11 months , I don't know if you could file that particular document at appeals court but talk to enough atty;s and one of them may find a way to send the date out [way out ] and look at when the trial date is. It might take years to get to appeals any way , Look at the options , It may be a while till appeals any way , Ask atty's if You could get it thrown out based on if your plan say's what , Mine say's that parenting plan issues have to go to mediation or dispute resolution before court ,I had to do it that way , I filed for mediation before a modification any way , My atty advised because she could get atty fees or deny the motion If I did not file for mediation first ,read your parenting plan , And read her motion and talk to  MANY attys