Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 03:16:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Unaccompanied Minors -- From Budget Travel Mar 04

Started by MixedBag, Feb 25, 2004, 06:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MixedBag

Kudos to.....JetBlue and Southwest Airlines

Most U.S. airlines quietly changed the rules for children flying without guardians.  Nowadays, a child usually has to be 15 to fly alone without notifying the airline (the cutoff was 12 in the past), and children ages 5-14 must pay an extra $40 to $90 each way (formerly $30 and up).  Southwest and JetBlue – which maintain security precautions and assist young passengers as other airlines do – are the exceptions, letting kids 5 years and older fly solo at no additional cost.

:-)

So, just when I thought I knew the rules....and my kids are getting old enough or close to old enough.....the goal post moved.

And to think -- my "future son in law" will be making his first flight tomorrow (with my two daughters) at the age of 20 with a connection and his nerves are absolutely shot already cause he's sicker than a dog this week.....  I'm glad that NONE of our 6 kids from our blended families are like that.  Thankfully he has two seasoned fliers to go with him.

I wish I could see the look on his face when they show him a 747 tomorrow....he thought the planes at our rinky dink airport were "big" and then I took him to B'ham where they were a bit bigger.  Wait 'till he goes to the gate in Atlanta....whew!

Kitty C.

Do you have any idea when they changed this??  Cuz when DS flew in 2002, the summer his dad passed away, they did not 'require' him to fly UAM, as it was a option at that age (13).  The only difference was that they demanded a photo ID, so we used his shool ID/lunch card.   One attendent told me that they use those a lot with kids.

And talk about getting in under the wire!  DS will be 15 in April and is planning to fly out to CA this summer to see his SM, sisters, and others from his dad's family.  Those UAM fees just keep going up and up!
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

MixedBag

No, I don't -- SS turned 11 in Dec, my son 11 in March....

The girls are different (bit older) and they flew together, so the age of the oldest one dominated and the younger one could "tag along."

Heck, Northwest treated them like adults once going up....and then as unaccompanied minors (because of the youngest one) coming back.  Their dad pitched a fit and said "Why didn't your mom tell me about this!!!" because they made him pay $75.  Then treated the oldest like an UAM too...she was not happy.  

But both of them said "Dad, they didn't do this to us on the way up, so how was mom supposed to know and tell you?"

My girls were like -- NEVER Northwest mom!

msme

when I flew back for a quick trip last summer, the airline told me it would cost $60, each way for my 5 pound dog to ride under my seat. I hesitated but decided to do it. When I got to the airport, with her, all alone, they told me the fee was $80 each way.

I argued but they said that either I pay or leave her behind. Yeah, right. An hour & a half before the plane leaves, with no car, I am supposed to take her somewhere. I had no choice but to pay. Sure made me wish I had boarded her.

All in all, you still probably got a better deal, pound for pound. LOL

You never get a second chance to make a first impression!

MixedBag

I once asked about my baby dog -- same size -- and they told me $100 each leg....(for connecting flights -- that's EACH part!)

I hate when that happens -- when they tell you one thing and then you're there and you can't PROVE what they said  -- nor surf real quick to the internet to see what's there.

Belle

Ok, Took your advice and booked sw non stop/connecting flight (not sure since child is at cut off, be ua minor) We already know CP won't put child on plane; so might as well be the cheapest fare right? Now when Cp does not comply with dates agreed to (verified by email and responce to intent) and cause us to lose money and  our already limited parenting time; can use this as denial of reasonable visitation since CP is putting undue restrictions that are not in court order?  Cp also says parenting plan not signed by judge, and can ignore if she wants. (like that was unexpected.) We have other children who travel and never had problems it is just a control issue. Thanks to all who have helped out!!!!

Kitty C.

Well.........

It's only contempt when she fails to put the child on the plane.  As for the parenting plan (I referred back to your original post), who was it that put it in the court file, but never got it signed by the judge?  And did the judge rule that whatever agreement was made in mediation would stand?  Check the decree VERY carefully for that.  Because it's very unusual for a judge to sign off on a divorce without a custody plan in it.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

Belle

The divorce was over 12 years ago NCP and Cp used same attn. (CP'S), very bad wording in decree, ncp young at time and trusted in faith of cp. (BIG NO NO!!!)

Neither side has been to court since this decree was granted. We have sent letters: several intent to visitations, several denial of visitations, and a few request to mediation to Cp with sent copies to court to be placed in our file (which are in there for a judge to review if needed later all positive on our side).

Cp requested to place parenting plan to be put in file (you do not need a courts approval or judge to place anything in file that has same interest as decree). I guess it is there, only says title of what was placed in file) This is a state that does not seem to care about NCP and childrens rights, and basically grant whatever. They still do not require parents to have parenting plans, only a class about divorce effects on kids, both must attend to grant divorce.

MixedBag

Yea, my decree from 15 years ago was very vague too.

I'd say -- if she doesn't put the child on the plane, get the ball rolling by filing a motion to show cause.

That may result in a detailed updated parenting plan.

(and that Southwest ticket is good one year from date of purchase less about $30 of fees!)...