Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 11:31:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

extracurricular activity interfere with fathers time

Started by mango, Apr 15, 2004, 11:19:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mango

We share 50/50 custody of my step-daughter and the mother can't stand the child spending anytime with the father at all. She has made that clear on many occassions. She has tried every tactic in the book to reduce his time and the courts continue to grant him equal rights. To that end....

Now she has enrolled her in a "swim club" that practices every night and has weekends away at swim meets out of town (requring $$ hotel stays). (she is only 10 years old). We have a family of 5, and enjoy camping skiing and other activites on the weeknds. This completely takes away from our family time. ANd if the father were to participate it takes the father away from his regular family by having to drive and attend all the required practices and meets.

He refuesd to participate and said "No" upfront. She signed her up regardless, and is now filing contempt claiming it to be school-related, and that he is refusing to take her to her activites. In the parenting agreement both parents are obligated to take the child to school-related activites. She is in elementary school, the club is not sponsored by the school, it is a local club. They assist children interested in swimming to prepare for the high school swim teams. So she is trying to "relate" it to school so the father will be forced to take her to the club.

Not only will it sever ties with family it is way too expensive to travel and pay for hotels. Does anyone think that she will have a leg to stand on in finding him in contempt of court for not taking her to this activity??

A.) I see it more as a ploy to either make it so undesirable to even have custody of a child that is so involed in activites that it is complete work driving to and from all activites. Or

B.) to interfere in parenting time.

I think she thinks the magestrate will say " let the mother drive her to and from activity" But that still leaves the father with no parenting time with his daughter.

At what point are activites more important then family time/parenting time. She is already in Private Piano, and flute lessons, and her grades are not the best. I think she is overbooked as it tis.

When does it ever end? We are in court every 3-6 months over stupid stuff and we have a family of 5 to support. It's truly a waste of everyones time to not get along.

MixedBag

Never.

Maybe this time the EX will have to pay his attorney's fees and stuff.  If the magistrate says "Mom can take her to this stuff" then have dad ask for make up time.

wendl

well if she is taking you to court, call the school and get a list of SCHOOL activities the school provides to show proof that this swim class is not a school related activity.

:)