Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 11:31:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Quote of the Day.........

Started by Kitty C., Mar 30, 2004, 10:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty C.

"Does she follow what she believes to be God's will or does she turn her back on her God?"

— Defense attorney F.R. "Buck" Files Jr., in his opening statement to jurors in the murder trial of Deanna Laney, a Texas mother who claims delusions about God's will led her to kill two of her sons and seriously injure a third boy.

-from ABCNews.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, I am a Christian and know that there are others out there who are much more devout than I, but there is ONE common denominator:  God does NOT condone killing!  JMO, but this has got to be the flimsiest excuse ever concocted for a murder defense!

But there's something else I realized with this incident.  Has anyone noticed that there's MUCH more publicity these days on mothers who kill their kids?  Even moreso than fathers (like we've known all along)?  Is the media finally 'getting it'?
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

StPaulieGirl

Could it be that more mothers are killing their children?  I rarely buy the defense position of delusions of God telling them to kill, but then again it is a "delusion".

We're living in a crazy world...

Peanutsdad

That case is over in Van Zandt county,, right near here. That woman took large rocks and smashed the two childrens heads in. So far as I am concerned,, stake her ass out in the village square,, and stone her to death.

Peanutsdad

Yup,, seems here in Texas lately,, if a mother kills her offspring,, shes either delusional, or suffering from PTSD, or suffering from postpartum depression...........

StPaulieGirl

I should have read the story before I made my reply.  Someone on another board asked a couple of days ago if there wasn't something in Texas water supply.  The poster went on to name a list of murders that have happened recently.

For women like Susan Smith, they should bring back hanging.  That was premeditated murder.  Not only that, she could have sparked a racial incident for her claim that she was carjacked by a black man.  IIRC, there was even a police sketch being shown on tv of the "suspect".  She should be in solitary, with no access to computers.  If you didn't know, she has a pic up on some website that features women in prison who want to correspond with men.

Now look at Andrea Yates.  Her own relatives stated there were some days that she managed to run a comb through her hair and dress herself.  They let her not only take care of her kids, but homeschool them?  I realize that the law protects people from being institutionalized against their will, but someone really dropped the ball on this one.  She felt that she was an evil person, and because of that her children would go to hell.  Therefore she killed them so they would go to heaven.  Well there's logic for you.  From what's been reported, she and her husband belonged to some kind of religious sect.  The leader of this sect sounded suspicious to me.  You know, like Jim Jones????

Now we have another case.  This Deanna Laney person seemingly had no prior mental problems.  One day "God" tells her to kill her children with either a rock or spears.  This woman is no Andrea Yates.  I saw her picture this morning.  She's healthy, well groomed, not at all in the drooling idiot category.  So what's up with this?  A devout Pentecostal woman, wife, and mother  suddenly ups and kills her kids on "God's" orders.

I'm keeping my eye on this.  Pentecostalists sometimes speak in tongues and literally start flopping around during services.  When this movement became more mainstream years ago, some worried that the devil could enter you instead of the Holy Spirit.  Religion can drive you over the edge.

I'm wondering if those 2 women didn't actually hear something order them to kill their children....the devil.  Like I said, I want to keep an eye on this case.

As for post partum problems, they should keep women in the hospital longer to do a proper assessment.  

Kitty C.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

sweetnsad