Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 08:27:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

year round school

Started by IceMountain, Aug 18, 2004, 07:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IceMountain

We are in the process of modifying the visitation order for my husband.  We had it all about 90% figured out, but now there is a wrench thrown in.  His ex informed us today that my stepson will be attending a year round school... which totally changes everything as far as the extended summer visitation we were asking for.  There is just no way to fit the amount of weeks in when he will only have 12 weeks off the whole year compared to 15-16 with regular school schedule.

Do any of you experienced parents have a suggestion for a fair schedule that has worked for you?  

Kitty C.

Where is she putting him, anyway?  And does your DH have joint legal, thus having a say in what school he's in?

IM and I have talked before, here and on another site...........I'm from Iowa, too.  JMO, but I'd be putting the brakes on the year-round school, since it conflicts so much with parenting time.  That must be taken into consideration.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

jilly

This doesn't necessarily have to be a monkey wrench thrown in. From the sounds of your post nothing as been signed or filed yet so just go back to the drawing board. You could still get your summer visitation, it would just be broken up into segments based on when SS is out on his break. Personally, I think year round school is a great idea. Saves on daycare!

IceMountain

My DH has joint legal.  His mom is moving into the district this weekend.  Lawyer says we can't do anything.  And since he's already started there we don't want to make him change again anyway.  

When we contacted the school yesterday they said he was not registered, but we talked to another person today who said he registered monday and started tuesday.

Personally, I like the idea of year round school because the summer is a long time to forget things and my SS has some learning difficulties.  I think it's great to have 'continuous learning'.

It just sucks as far as visitation goes, but the school emailed a calendar today so we have to look at it.  It seems more broke up then we realized it would be and she said there would be 5-6 weeks in summer still.

I know she's doing it just to prevent my DH from extended visitations, but I'm confident we'll be able to prove it and it will blow up in her face.

:)

Kitty C.

Then I'd be taking FULL advantage of the other breaks, if at all possible.  Apparently the ex 'assumes' that you and DH could not exercise extended visitation any other time than in the summer.  Prove her otherwise.

As for the lawyer saying there's NOTHING you can do, that's BS.  If you have joint legal, you DO have a voice in education.  But if you think it would serve him better because of his LD's, then it's a moot point.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

MixedBag

Yes, we have two school districts that do the "year round" school thing.

I'm gonna guess and say that IF your attorney said you can't stop her from moving and enrolling him in the school and stuff, the reason is because the state's law says that the CP can move say 100 miles without the courts permission.

School schedules are based on which COUNTY they fall in.

So she moved from a 12-week summer COUNTY schedule to a "year round" county schedule.

In a sense, yep, you're back to square one when developing a proposed modification to your existing order.  

Some year-round schools break up the breaks differently.  The schools are still in session basically the 180-186 days required per year.  

I remember one mom who had all of the school breaks (AZ, year round school) which meant she had 10 weeks in the summer, 1 in the fall, 2 at Christmas, and 1 in the spring.  Well our year-round calendar doesn't have a fall and spring WEEK which is simply tacked on to the summer.  So in the end, the kids went to school the same number of days.

Hope that makes sense -- I don't always say things clearly I'm told.

IceMountain

We got a copy of the schedule from his school.  He is still on break for 15-16 weeks a year, so we'll just have the time spread out, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  My DH will be able to have a stronger bond with my SS this way.  We are really looking forward to having him 1-2 weeks throughout the year, plus summer.  (well if the mod goes through anyway.)  We've figured out a new schedule, and it actually wasn't that difficult to do.

We plan to submit a schedule for year round and 9-month and a schedule with holidays that will work no matter what schedule he is on.  I don't know if that is par, but we're going to try it.  My DH figures he might as well cover all the bases this time, rather than ending up back in court in a year when she decides to go back to a 9 month school because she's not preventing him from anything.

Thanks for all of your advice!

:)