Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 23, 2024, 02:29:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

daughter say wants last name changed

Started by mattwolf, Apr 01, 2004, 05:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattwolf

mwolfsr
After not having ANY contact w/ADW for more than 6 years.(her mothers choice) I was finally able to talk w/her little more than a year ago.  She will soon be 11.  I still have not been able to see her.  Her mom has remarried and has other children w/current husband.  There is NO doubt that ADW has been led to believe thatour seperation has been by my doing.  Now i get an e-mail from daughter who says she wantsto changer her last name so she will fit in better w/her "family".  She has an older brother & sister (from my 1st marriage) & we all love her very much.  We are her family too!  She is also my daughter, I don't want in any way to ever let her feel or think that I would give her up by choice.
Her mom has asked a couple of times if I would allow her current husband to adopt ADW.. "NEVER"has each time been my response.  Now that ADW has stated that she wants to change her name, I am at a loss.  

Any feedback would very helpful.
Thanks
Peace
Matt

Kitty C.

If your name is on her birth certificate, NO ONE can change her name without BOTH parents' consent.  Once she turns age of majority, then she can do whatever she pleases, but as long as she is a minor, it MUST be consented by BOTH parents.  It's the law.  
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

wendl

If both names are on her birth cert than both parents must consent to a name change. However, like my son who is 12 whom really doesnt have much of a relationship with his dad (dads choice) made the choice to use my dh's last name all things--but must remain using given last name on legal forms (he has never carried dads last name)

I will not let my son change his name legally until he is 18 when he is older and understands more. My dh also will not adopt my son until he reaches 18 because regardless of his dad that is still his dad and dh doesn't try to take the place of him.