Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 01:43:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grandparents visitation rights

Started by minnesotagrandma, Sep 24, 2004, 10:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

minnesotagrandma

I live in Minnesota.  My son and his girlfriend, both 18, have a son (3 months old) and they all live in my home as of 1 week ago.  Before that, mother and baby lived at grandfather's home (for 3 months).  The mothers father (babys grandpa) seeks visitation.  Both my son and his girlfriend do not want him to visit their son.  What are the grandfathers chances of winning visitation if this goes further?   I do not think the courts would find the grandfather a bad influence on the child, it is just the parents feel he would be.

joni

most states don't grant g-parents visitation rights unless their child is deceased (the child's parent who is the child of the g-parents) or the parent is incarcerated.  in Minnesota, if they live with you for more than a year and move out of your house, you can petition for visitation.  here's a link I found:

http://www.uslegalforms.com/lawdigest/grandparents.php/MN/MN-DO-30-FF.htm

if I were you, and the child is not in danger, I would not take sides.  Your son and gfriend are very young.  with your encouragement, as your grandchild's advocate, I would try to get my kids to see the light and let the g-father see his g-child once in a while.  if the kids want nothing to do with him, maybe you could be the 3rd party to facilitate this, with their permission, taking the g-child over there to see g-pa.

put the shoe on the other foot, how would you feel if they got pissy with you, moved out of your house, and decided that you couldn't see your grandchild anymore?  you wouldn't like that, would you?   without any more info or details from you, these kids sound spoiled and immature.  they're very good at biting the hand that feeds them.

janM

If you go to //www.grandsplace.com you can go to their Legal Resources link, which has a state-by-state listing of grandparents' rights.