Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 01:00:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

visitation prior to hearing

Started by okiedad, Mar 04, 2005, 03:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okiedad

I have a 3 1/2 month old son and to date the mother is only letting me see him in her house.  I expressed a desire to have him outside of her home and she stated that Oklahoma law only gives a minimum of so many hours for visitation.  She let my mom have him for over 6 hours last week, but has since spoken with her attorney and will not let either of us see him away from her.  She said this is how it will be until the custody hearing.  Does anyone have laws like this in thier state or know if this is correct for oklahoma?

Kimberly9

First . . . welcome.  Read everything on this site and learn from others.  A lot of us have been through heart break and you can learn from our mistakes.  There is advice on how to document, how to prepare for hearings, how to build a father / son relationship with your baby etc.  Read, Read, Read!  I would look into a parenting class -- so that you can show the judge that you are prepareing to parent your son.  I would ask to see your son all the time -- even in her house.  Document asking and document the time you spend.

Second. . .the best Oklahoma site I have found is:  http://www.dougloudenback.com/

The website has links by county to "standard visitation" examples.  It has links to a lot of Oklahoma divorce law.

It is a law firm that is out of OKC.  You didn't say where you live or how much money you have for an attorney. . .but I would strongly suggest you get one soon.  Yes, you can do things pro se and there are people on the board that have been successful, BUT it is very, very difficult.  And the decisions that will be made for your son in the next six months will be very hard to reverse.

Are you married to the baby's mother?

Is there any temporary order right now?

joni

possession is 9/10's of the law and this mom is squatting all over this child.  clearly, she's being well coached by an attorney in order to sabotage your efforts to bond with the child and spend any quantity of time with the child.  she's probably doing this so when she goes to the custody hearing, she'll be able to say that you've never had your own child unsupervised.  also, you've never seen your own child for more than a few hours at a time.  

you need to get an attorney now.  you need to file for visitation now.  filing for visitation is a separate issue than filing for custody.  you need to have access to your child.  this can be accomplished without custody being decided by a court.