Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 23, 2024, 04:59:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Traveling with child

Started by rltfox, Apr 27, 2005, 01:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rltfox

We are going to mediation this Saturday (4/30) to work out the summer vacation schedule.  We are planning on taking a vacation to Mexico.  While at mediation we would like to get the mother to sign a "permission slip" for the trip.  I could easily type up something stating she gives permission for father to take son to Mexico from ____ to ____ & get it notarized.  Will that work?  I would hate to get to the airport & not be allowed to board.  I tried finding a form on this site, but couldn't find anything.

Also for anyone who has traveled to Mexico with a child, is a certified copy of the birth certificate sufficient?  The airline's website states that is enough.  We are considering a passport, but are not sure if it is worth the extra expense.

Thanks in advance!

Kitty C.

Better be doing some checking, because you may HAVE to have a passport and if so, you MUST have both parents' signatures to get it.  Do some homework to find out exactly what you need, then you can go armed into mediation.  
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

rltfox

Kitty, Thanks!  I downloaded the form to have her sign if we go the passport route, but I just am unsure if we really *need* to get one.  On that issue I may just call the airline to double check.

Any ideas on the "permission slip"?

Kboeds

I could be wrong but I think I recently heard that the US passed a law that states you must have a passport to get back in the U.S.
This would include travel to Canada and Mexico. You don't need it to go into the other countries, but you need it to get back into the U.S.
Hate to see anyone get stuck in another country because they were not aware of that.

Check out this site for information
http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

BTW I think getting a permission slip is a great idea, even is mom signs for the pssport.

KB

joni

Here's a site I found that creates the permission letter for you.  Perhaps you can bring it with you to mediation and have her sign it there, in front of the attorneys.  Ususally someone at the mediation is also a notary public.

http://e-notary.ca/travel-consent/consent-to-travel-document.html

I would also contact the State Department and find out the EXACT requirements for your travel.  You don't want to go to mediation and not have all your facts.  YOU WILL GET SPANKED.

http://travel.state.gov/index.html

Anything these officials tell you, ask them to fax you the documentation or ask them the exact web site address so you can download the information to take to mediation with you.

rltfox

Thanks for all the help.  Given the mother's history of interference, being stuck in Mexico might not be such a bad thing (j/k).  DH is going to call the mediation center tomorrow & see if they have a notary on-site.  If not, I am a notary.  I wonder if that would work or if it would seem too prejudicial?

- Leigh

Everyside

We travel to Mazatlan in Mexico for 2-3 weeks every other year with our children.  Here is what we have always taken and not had any issues:

1:  Vertified copies of all four children's birth certificates;

2:  My divorce decree (certified copy) showing I have sole custody of my two children;

3:  Noterized statement from Mother of my step daughter that she is aware and gives permission for Husband and I to take daugher out of country  (Specific place and times for travel are stated in the letter, the airlines like that).

You do not need passports (yet) to get in/out of Mexico and Canada.  That was going to happen in 2007 but as of now, it's been tabled for political reasons.

Have a great time!

rltfox

It never fails.  She refused to sign the letter.  Even with both mediators telling her it is standard procedure & required for entry to/from the US.  AND if she ever wanted to travel abroad with him she would be required to have the same document.

She is *supposed* to be having her attorney review it & has until 5/13 to return it.  Nevermind that our reservation hold expires 5/6!  Her official excuse for not signing it is because she is "not comfortable".  Ugh!  We have never been more than 15 minutes late to drop son off or not brought him back.

If she still refuses to sign is the only recourse we have to go to court?

MixedBag

Yep.

Or pick another destination....