Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 12:05:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Moved out of state...

Started by Mike_in_Ga, Jun 25, 2005, 05:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_in_Ga

I'm not certain yet, but it looks as if my recent ex-wife (final in May) has taken our daughter and moved out of state, back to her family home about 7 hours away.  

I was given joint legal custody and full visitation but she still kept me from seeing our daughter.  I won't spend the time describing everything that happened but it's taken 15 months and a ton of money to get this settled.  

In the last few days, I've found out things that tell me she's no longer living in the state. (which was her intention for some time)  The lawyers have already started a contempt motion.  

My questions to everyone are these, and thank you for giving me your thoughts !

1. She's in another state and has typical joint legal custody.  What does that mean as far as the law goes and me?  The court can find her in contempt, but she's not coming back to this state.  Do the cops in that state go looking for her? Does the order have any force in another state?  

2. She's given me what is basically a forwarding address.  What am I supposed to do about child support?  Do I pay it to the court until this is settled, or do I just send it on to her wherever she decides to go with our daughter and just give up?  

I've written to my daughter all through this but she's completely under the control of the ex, and the only replies I've ever gotten were nasty ones.  

The evaluator even suggested a change in custody if she couldn't comply, but making that happen seems impossible... and frankly a little scary considering how far I know she will go.

And, to anyone on the cusp of something like this, it started with wife and daughter sleeping together.