Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 17, 2024, 07:16:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

father of infant lives out of state what is normal visitation

Started by dovette7, Aug 07, 2005, 09:18:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dovette7

My minor daughter has a 4 month old and they live with us (her parents).  We live in Georgia.  The baby's father lives in Washington State. Baby's dad desprately wants to be involved in his son's life.  We want that as well.  He considered moving here but that isn't going to happen.  He told me yesterday that he would like the baby to live here 3 months and then there 3 months etc. so he can be a real father to him.

I am against this because even though it would be time with his father, A young child shouldn't be moved around like that. He needs a stable home enviroment.  We are open to the baby's father visiting anytime for as long as he wants.  I would even consider traveling with the baby a couple of times a year for a week or two and bring the baby to him but I still feel being a baby, he dosen't need to be picked up at the airport and away from his mother for long periods of time.

Very confusing.  Any suggestions on a parenting plan that could work?
dovette7

sherrie ohio

I hope you'll keep him informed as much as possible. Let him call,viset send him pictures ect.My husband has been on the end that this young man is, and it hurts not to see your child or be informed.Please leave the line open with this dad.A child needs two parents a mother and  a father.I've seen how it effects a child when a parent is not included.My husband got the following visitation order when we lived out of state.One weekend a month and time at the holidays for visitations and scheduled phone call each week.Plus during his vacation he was allowed visitation.We return to their state for all visit's .But do realize that may change when the child gets older. Best of luck to all.Please keep and open mind for the chid.

Imom

http://www.georgiadivorce.net/georgia-child-custody-attorney.html

Here is a link I foung scroll down to the joint parenting plan........however, your state does not account for such young age.

My state does here is a sample......

(A)  Child Under 3 Years Of Age.  For a child under 3 years of age, the noncustodial parent shall have the option to exercise parenting time, in the community of the custodial parent, up to two five hour periods each week.  The five hour period may occur on Saturday and Sunday on alternate weekends only.  

(B)  Child 3 and 4 Years of Age.  For a child 3 and 4 years of age, up to six (6) one week segments annually, each separated by at least (6) weeks.  Including the pickup and return of the child, no segment shall exceed eight (8) days.

(C)  Child 5 Years of Age and Older.  For a child 5 years of age and older, seven (7) weeks of the school summer vacation period and seven (7) days of the school winter vacation plus the entire spring break, including both weekends if applicable.  Such parenting time, however, shall be arranged so that the custodial parent shall have religious holidays, if celebrated, in alternate years.

joni

how old is your daughter?

where is she living now?

who is she living with?

dsm

Does the father have family in the area that he can stay with when he comes to see this baby?  If not, then I don't think that it is fair to make the father take the visitation in the mother's city.   The child should be able to participate in what is happening in his father's house and in his father's surroundings.

No matter how you look at it, the distance creates a financial issue for tranporting this baby.  What happened that the dad is not able to relocate to Georgia?
==============================================================================

dsm - 34
DH - 38
SD - 15
LO - 9
BB - 2
------------------
2 Cheap Entertainment cats - Snoop & Dagger - 5 years and counting.....
dsm - 44
DH - 48
SD - 26
LO - 19
BB - 12
1 demon who provides cheap entertainment of the fluffy and furry kind.

My mantra - it's time for me to do for me and mine so we can live in the present and not fret about the past nor worry about the future.  What is, is

flewwellin

the courts like to see a baby spend as much time as possible with both parents however the fact that this isn't possible it would be interesting to see what a court would decide. I don't think they'd go for what the babies father suggested.  If this young man wants to step up and be a father I suggest he get off his butt and move to Georgia so he can be a REAL father.

I am a Stepmother and wife.  My husband is a NCP and we live 500+ miles away from the kids (long story but the kids in our sittuation are 4 and 6) age makes a large difference as to what should or shouldn't happen to children.