Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 06:24:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Issues Raised at Legislative Delegation Hearing

Started by POC, Dec 22, 2005, 10:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POC

Here is the text of my address:

I have two related issues to address the delegation with, which should concern all fit parents:

1.   Currently, Ch. 61.30 of Florida's statutes defines a substantial amount of time for a parent and child to spend with each other as 146 or more overnights out of the year. This is not a rhetorical question. But, straight and to the point, as state legislators, do you believe that fit parents and their children ought to be allowed to share a substantial amount of time with each other?

2.   Florida's child support formula was found to be flawed by the House Judicial Oversight Committee back in the fall of 2001, and again this past spring by the Economics Department at Florida State University. In fact, it's so bad that it doesn't even work at 50/50 time and identical parental incomes. Naturally, all parents ought to provide for the needs of their children 365 days out of the year. Unfortunately, the arbitrary threshold contained within the current guidelines, places more importance on parental designations than it does on the needs of children. This is not a rhetorical question either. Shouldn't the child support guidelines seamlessly apportion money between the parents, so that all children, across time sharing and parental income situations that are reality in today's society, can have their reasonable needs equitably provided for?

Hopefully, the citizens of Florida will soon get yes or no answers to those straight forward questions.

POC

I'm sure you had to be somewhat curious. Yes, legislation is soon to be filed.

POC

Merry Christmas Everybody!!!

----- Original Message -----
To: POC's Mail
Sent: Saturday, December 24, 2005 1:30 PM
Subject: RE: Yesterday's Legislative Delegation Hearing (Substantial Parenting)

Thank you for your kind remarks POC. I will ask your "questions" of my colleagues.

Merry Christmas

Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thu 12/15/2005 2:17 PM
To: Davis, Mike
Subject: Yesterday's Legislative Delegation Hearing (Substantial Parenting)

Dear Rep. Davis:

Thank you for chairing  yesterday's Collier Legislative Delegation Hearing. I am glad that you were able to listen to me speak. You seemed to understandthat the questions that I asked were not complicated at all. It really comes down to if our state wants fit parents to be substantial parts of their kids lives, or not. If so, it must be allowed to happen. Unfortunately, the biggest barrier that prevents good dads like myself from spending more time with our kids is a court order, not a lack of desire. That's a shame, but it doesn't have to remain that way. Courts are not the venue for parents like myself to seek relief for us and our children. Our best hope is a firm directive from legislators like yourself that clearly says, in the absence of wrongdoing, so egregious that a parent has forfeited their parental rights, that any court order shall allow the parent and their child to be at minimum, a substantial part of each other's lives, as defined by Florida's statutes (currently 146 overnights). An equitable child support formula that apportions money for needs such as food, shelter, clothing, and transportation 365 days out of the year and while in the care of both parents would help make that possible.

The fact that you had to question me as to whether my questions were
rhetorical is about the highest compliment that you could have made, as it shows what common sense they make. I agree, the questions seemingly answer themselves. But, the problem lies in that current statutes and court orders are nearly opposite those common sense answers. In other words, the current policy of our state is that Florida doesn't seem to believe that fit parents and their children should be allowed to be a substantial part of each others lives. Hopefully, it won't remain that way much longer.

It is worth cross-checking other issues that were brought before the
delegation yesterday, and look and see how many of the problems would be far less severe if more fathers, like myself were allowed to share more time with our kids. Unlike most others yesterday, I'm not asking the state to spend more money. I'm providing solutions that will save it money and build its tax base. I look forward to and would appreciate your help in getting these common sense ideas made to be new state policy. Do not hesitate to call upon my help in getting you re-elected.

Respectfully,

POC