Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 03:06:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

unsure what to do

Started by richard7, Jan 29, 2006, 07:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard7

I need some advice on what to do. A year and a half ago, my ex-wife took me to court because I was back on my child support due to the fact that I was in school full-time and did not work. I understand where she was coming from, and was more than happy to pay it back, after all it's my responsiblitiy. However, when we went back to court, I could not afford an attorney, therefore went into it blind. Well the court day arrived and the judge told us to try and work it out on our own because he was going to be involved in another case for a few days, and I had driven 700 miles to go to court. So her attorney, her and myself  sat down. Well, I was pretty much screwed from the beginning being that I was behind on support and didn't have a laywer with me. Well what ended up happening was I payed her back, my support was increased and he ordered me to pay support in the months of June and July when I have my son the entire time, whereas before I was expempt. Plus court papers says I can only see him once a month on the weekends, when not in the summer.  

Now I have moved back to the area, and the ex has been pretty good about letting me see him more, however I want something in writing in case she ever gets mad, and won't let me see him more. So we talked and agreed to sit down and work something out. She has agreed to let me see him at least twice a month on the weekends, and let me be exempt from paying in the summer. Well as you can imagine, I would like something legal, I wany it on paper and recorder. However, when I mentioned it to her, she flipped out and wants to get her attorney invovled. I told her all I want is to put on paper what we discussed so that she can't some back on me later, and I also told her I would pay for the attorney to write it up and be filed. She wants me to use her attorney, and I said no, we can find a mutal attorney,no problem.

Well she doesn't like it that I won't use her attorney and she's going to call and get his advice. Well I am sure he's going to tell her not to agree to it, so my only option if she won't agree is to go to court. I don't want it to be that way for the sake of my son. What's the best way to go about this without making it dirty and long and drawn out? Am I being unreasonable?

lawless

You may want to post a question on the "Dear Socrateaser" forum for legal advice.  Be sure to read his information regarding how to format your question.
Lawless

MixedBag

you "let it ride" for 6 months or more...

you line up witnesses who can back you up that you had the extra time...

and then you go for a formal court order

MixedBag

MixedBag