Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 12:36:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

about to file another contempt order...had a quick question

Started by specsgirl, May 16, 2006, 07:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

specsgirl

Hello-
I reside in the state of WI and was wondering something as I'm about to file yet another contempt order.  Do I have to file it in the county in which the child resides and the original placement order was put into place or can I file it in my home county?  We both the BM and I live in WI.  I just can't see driving all those 5 hours to file a paper when I could do it here.  

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

tweety1

I am not positive but I believe you will have to file for a change in jurisdiction and after that is done file in your new county.  This is a good questions for SOC.  

tweety1

dsm

If you don't, then you have a mess because if the county you file in doesn't have jurisdiction over the case, it really can't rule on your motion so you'd be wasting time and money (yours and the courts).

If there is need to change jurisdiction, then you'll need to include that with your motion - to the county that currently has jurisdiction.  They could then rule on your contempt motion and grant the change.

We're also in WI for what it's worth.  

==============================================================================

dsm - 35; DH - 39; SD - 16; LO - 10; BB - 3
------------------
3 Cheap Entertainment cats - Sam,  Snoop & Dagger
------------------
Live, Love, and Laugh
------------------
I am not a lawyer so don't take my posts as legal advice - my words are simply my opinion and reaction to questions and other posts in a What Would You Do response.  When in doubt - seek out a lawyer.
dsm - 44
DH - 48
SD - 26
LO - 19
BB - 12
1 demon who provides cheap entertainment of the fluffy and furry kind.

My mantra - it's time for me to do for me and mine so we can live in the present and not fret about the past nor worry about the future.  What is, is