Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 07:22:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Visitation Vs Church - What will be the likely the outcome?

Started by dadinma, Nov 17, 2006, 08:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dadinma

My daughters are 6 and 4 years old. Their mother and I have had an agreement and I picked them up on Saturdays, spend the day with them, and then brought them home. This worked for a few years...

Then things changed. As my children got older, started asking for more time. She moved two hours away, which cut my time short due to the travel. I started asking for more time. She would always she'll think about and ultimately the answer was "no". My daughters would always ask me if they could sleep over, but their mother will not allow it.

I did some research and discovered that I am getting far less than the standard time for children their age. Talking to mom didn't work, so I had to file a motion in court.

We went to court last week and the judge agreed that I should have overnight visits. Due to my work schedule, I am unavailable on Friday evenings, so I asked for EOW Sat-Sunday. Mom disagreed. Said she's been bringing the girls to church for years, and is not willing to change now. I brought up the fact that her church has weeknight service, but she said they don't have Sunday School on the weeknights. I offered to bring them to church in my community and mom said no.

The judge set us up for trial in January. Is anyone familiar with this type of thing? What is likely to happen in a case like this?

ocean

There is not reason you do not have overnights. Get the info in writing from her church that they can go a different day. We got a letter that said the she could miss every other week if we read her the chapter in the book. See if her religion class will do that, I am sure they will. Plus here, they only have to sign in one sunday a month. Call and find out what the requirements are.
Also, have you looked at the parenting plans on this site? You should have long holiday weekends and vacation weeks both in the summer and during the school year (spring break, winter break, split christmas or every other year).
Good luck!

CGS

Does your community have a church of the same denomination? Is your faith the same (or similar to) the mother's?

If so, you have plenty of time before your hearing to become familiar with the same church in your community. Go to the service, talk to the pastor and other church members w/ kids your girls' age.  Visit the sunday school and ask what accomodations could  be made for your girls.  

Go to your hearing prepared w/ affidavits from members of the church in your area as to what programs are available so that you can still have full weekends with your girls.  

reagantrooper

Dont try to compromise by saying I will read this or that. Or by agreeing to take them somwhere else. ETC ETC ETC. If you do you will be setting yourself up to be controled.

Dont give in! Your Parenting time is your Parenting time. If you want to take your Kids to church so be it. If not so be it.

Leave it at that.

I am very suprised that the court would even entertain this agrument.

Good luck! Keep us posted on how this plays out.

mistoffolees

I don't know the legality, but I'd be careful.

Sounds like the Mom has custody and the father is NCP. That means that her wishes will carry more weight than his. If they're joint, the issue might be different.

My own feeling is that I'd be inclined to go along with taking the kids to her denomination in my town - at least until the issue is settled. If that's not an option for moral or other reasons, I'd consult an attorney before digging my feet in on this issue.

gipsy

My time is my time to go to church or not , I don't know why the Judge did that I think you Had a commissioner or something , If there has never reaaly been a written parenting plan then you just file for a parenting plan and people on this site can help you with that ,
    So You may be in the need of knowledge of the process , . Here in wash state the court will do little with out a Parentin Investigater / Guardian ad litem , I could hardly imagine a trial with out that report .