Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 09:33:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Taking SD to Canada

Started by Ref, Dec 07, 2006, 01:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ref

Does anyone know if Dh needs to get specific written approval from BM to take SD to Canada?

There is nothing in his court order about it, but I heard something about it being needed if you travel to Mexico and maybe Canada.

He has shared legal custody.

Thanks
Ref

mounta_00

When my wife and I took my SD back home to Toronto, she had to get written permission from her ex (they have joint) since we were asked at the airport at customs, and had to show the agent the letter for admittance.

I would get it to be safe.

Ref

BM is such a super pain. DH might just forgo the trip to keep from asking BM to do this.

Did I mention that SD will be 16 1/2 when we would take the trip?

I know, we should cover our butts.... Sigh

Thanks
Ref

CGS

I live close to the Canadian border and have taken many trips in and out of Canada with my son and many others.  In the winter I take a van load of 4-6 year old boys to Canada for hockey games every other weekend.  

All that is required is:
- A picture ID for each child (any local law enforcement agency can make a "child find" id card for a few dollars)
- A certified birth certificate
- A letter from 1 parent... without regard to which parent has legal custody etc. The parent just has to match one of the parents on the birth certificate.

Many times several of the boys with me don't have either parent present, and so long as we have the documents above, the border patrol has always given us the green light.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation.

gemini3

From my understanding, since they have joint legal, he has the option to take her out of state and/or country if he wants as long as it doesn't violate anything in thier agreement.  If there are specific prohibitions against this, or there are limitations specific to your agreement, then he would need to get her written permission or could be held in contempt of court.

Aren't you glad that she's almost legal age and you won't have to deal with this kind of stuff much longer?  I have 12 years to go.  I don't know how you managed to do it.

Ref

I am so excited for this stuff to be over with. I have been in the picture for 12 years now and it has always seems crazy. I haven't had it half as bad as some on this board, but it is still too much to deal with sometimes.

870 days left and I can't wait. BM is always coming up with new and wackier ways to get at us or mess up SD.

Thanks
Ref