Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 23, 2024, 01:23:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Michigan visitation

Started by ruffinar1, Oct 06, 2007, 01:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruffinar1

Ex-girlfriend had twins and was very guarded in letting them be seen by myself or my family. An attorney I talked to says that even though I tried to see children  and she was uncooperative that I can only hope for minimum visitation. Has anyone had experience in this same situation? Have you been able to successfully get your visitation increased?

ocean

How old are they? You should receive at least every other weekend and a weekday during the week plus summer vacation weeks and holidays every other year through-out the year. Some people who can get along, do 50/50 split but it usually only works if you both want to do it and live in the same school district.
Go see another lawyer too. Take a parenting class and CPR class if they are very young. You need to file for a parenting/visitation plan at the courts. (If she has not asked for child support, be prepared to deal with that. Here it is 25% of you income for 2 kids but I am not in your state).
Good luck!

ruffinar1

They are 14 months old. I have met with them in regards to child support and DNA testing.  I still as yet have to meet with them in regards to the visitation.  I've been looking online and ran across this info from Dennis Gac. Has anyone tried this or any other program that has worked?  I work and make enough to get by but $650 a month is really going to stretch even my basics.

mistoffolees

>How old are they? You should receive at least every other
>weekend and a weekday during the week plus summer vacation
>weeks and holidays every other year through-out the year. Some
>people who can get along, do 50/50 split but it usually only
>works if you both want to do it and live in the same school
>district.
>Go see another lawyer too. Take a parenting class and CPR
>class if they are very young. You need to file for a
>parenting/visitation plan at the courts. (If she has not asked
>for child support, be prepared to deal with that. Here it is
>25% of you income for 2 kids but I am not in your state).
>Good luck!

There's a tendency to think that if you don't make waves about the visitation that support will be lighter. Don't give in to this. Not only is it improper to tie support to visitation, it won't work, anyway.

Even if she agrees with you that you don't have to pay support, she can go back to court at any time and hit you up for back support. Do yourself (and your kids!) a favor by getting support ordered by the court ASAP and staying paid up. That will save you a huge bill somewhere down the road.

ocean

You can file yourself too...Go to the court house and file for visitation papers. The least you will get is the every other weekend and one night a week. If you and your ex can work something else out, then file it. This way if your ex gets mad, you still have a court document on when/where you see your kids.
Good luck!